Wooden Works that need bushings

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by D Crone, Sep 29, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. D Crone

D Crone Registered User

Jul 14, 2014
    Clermont, FL
    Country Flag:
    On a wooden works with a worn pivot hole, what about just carefully filling the hole with wood epoxy and re-drilling the hole in the original spot? I havent tried this, its just an idea, but wouldn't that just essentially fill the "wear space" in the hole and be practically invisible?

2. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What you are suggesting has been done by others. It is generally frowned upon as a "repair". Why? The behavior of epoxy overtime being used as a bearing surface has not in my knowledge been fairly tested. Some epoxies can be abrasive. Some have a fairly sticky behavior when "set". If the clock had wood, or bone, or brass bearing surfaces ORIGINALLY, it is better to stay with the original material(s) when doing repairs. Replacing a wooden bushing material is covered in several places on the NAWCC site, search is our friend.....

3. D Crone

D Crone Registered User

Jul 14, 2014
    Clermont, FL
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, I am familiar with wood bushing procedures. Just thought I'd put the idea out there for feedback. I can see what you are saying about the epoxy not working well and sticking.