Wooden Works Teeth Meshing and locking question

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by David D'Apice, Nov 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David D'Apice

David D'Apice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Good evening. I'm working with a pillar and scroll 30 hour wooden movement -- which appears to be a like-new repro. There is little wear on the teeth ---- on the strike side, I notice that when it runs, the finer gears show a jump, click or stutter once in a while -- sometimes its enough to jam up the movement and stop the striking. I tried leaving the flywheel and the previous two gears that drive it in the plates to test and it seems smooth enough to light finger pressure --- maybe that the great wheel and the 2nd might be having trouble causing a stutter in power? Is there a way to determine which gear or pinion is the trouble maker -- I'm having trouble seeing an issue visually --- all the wheels seem to be in near perfect shape, so I don't understand what's happening. Is it possible it's a depthing issue and its locking/jamming once every few revolutions -- which seems to be making the clicking sound. There isn't much slop in the pivot holes. It's a complete mystery. Any help appreciated, as always! Thanks, Dave

2. David D'Apice

David D'Apice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I was able to take this movement apart, gear by gear -- adding them back in --- one at a time. By slowing everything down and rolling under finger, I learned that there were about 3 teeth that had things wrong with them --- one of them was that the groove between the teeth seemed to have had sawdust in it before someone stained the entire movement --- which I believe was crunching against the nearest pinion leaves --- also, I noticed that three of the teeth seemed a tiny bit longer than those around them --- I smoothed only the tips, narrowed them a bit, and threw a radius on the end ever so tiny --- solved the problem -- I had no idea a wooden works could be so finicky!!! Perhaps this one was so new that it hadn't been worn in well, and may have continued to shutter every time those teeth meshed! Just figured I'd share the good news. There probably is a more scientific way to find the mesh issue (with depthing tool, etc), but my "slow-motion" observation (with a little drag on the next wheel) seems to have found the stutter! Onward and upward! Hopefully the time side won't need the same sort of "wearing in"!

PatH likes this.
  3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I couldn't think of anything specific and figured it would take eyes on observation.

Tom

David D'Apice likes this.