wooden works stops

M

Marcel

Just finished cleaning and assembly of 30 hour terry movement. I placed it on clock stand and it runs fine for about 5 hours striking and keeps good time. Problem is the clock stops when the weights come down at at a certrain position. Pullies are all OK and everything seems fine, I give it a kick start and it rus until the weights bottom out.

M

Marcel

Just finished cleaning and assembly of 30 hour terry movement. I placed it on clock stand and it runs fine for about 5 hours striking and keeps good time. Problem is the clock stops when the weights come down at at a certrain position. Pullies are all OK and everything seems fine, I give it a kick start and it rus until the weights bottom out.

M

Marcel

The clock is on a stand, but doesn't seem to be unstable. I will place the stand on the wall and see what happens.

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
If the WW clock was mine, I'd be sure the cord was not fowling on the winding spool and wound evenly in a neat spiral without overlays.

Next I'd substitute a lighter weight on the timekeeping works. It may be that the movement isn't as free of binds as you were led to believe. One little caveat: if the pillars are loose in the plates, then a lighter weight won't pull the plates out of square as much as a heavy weight.

Next, I'd remove the strike weight to see if there's a fault with the strike release linkage.

Another thing to try is to let the clock free run without a pendulum; just the crutch. Alternately, remove the verge and control the movement by pressing on the 'scape wheel arbor.

But since I have a MicroSet timer, I'd hook it up to the clock and record the clock's performance on a lap-top computer. Program the MicroSet to time double the number of teeth on the 'scape wheel. The resulting accumulated graph could pin-point a swolen wheel or a bent pivot. Cyclic flaws in the wheel train become very evident on a MicroSet graph recording.

Les

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hitchcockjohn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff