wooden works plate depth question

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by fume happy, Feb 5, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fume happy

fume happy Registered User

Mar 31, 2005
    Computers
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,
    Wondering if anyone is familiar enough with wooden works to let me know who would have used a standard terry type movement gear setup with a distance of 2 and 1/4 inches between the plates, as opposed to the usual 1 3/4.
    Thanks!

~Fume Happy

2. haneyk

haneyk Registered User

Apr 15, 2007
    Are you sure it isn't an eight day movement? They had a great distance between the plates than the 30-hour movement.

3. fume happy

fume happy Registered User

Mar 31, 2005
    Computers
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's possible it could be an eight day movement... I am missing a gear or two out of the train, and I don't have the plates. :(

4. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As haneyk suggests, the plate distance seems more consistent with an 8-day movement. I checked NAWCC Bulletin Supplement 19, and the following had 8-day movements with plate spacing greater than 2 inches: at 2 1/8" Group 2 (Seth Thomas), Group 3 (Samuel Terry), and Group 6 (Henry Terry), and at 2 5/16" Group 4 (Jeromes & Darrow). Supplement 19 should provide enough additional info that you should be able to nail down for certain whether it's an 8-day. If it's a Jerome, one other characteristic that may be diagnostic is the winding drum diameter: Jerome 8-day winding arbor drums (7/16") were much narrower than 30-hr drums; not sure whether that applies for the other makers.