wooden works movements needed

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Paul H, Jul 1, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Paul H

Paul H Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Anyone have extra wooden works movements or dials they want to get rid of:???:?

A good friend of mine is winding down in the years and reducing his collection. I had the good fortune to buy a Rodney Brace 8 day wood works from him for restoration. I've started on that one and I'm having a great time with it.

He also sold me 5 wood works cases (no movements or dials) for the fabulous price of $5.00 per case. Included were a Marsh Gilbert + Co. 8 day ww; a Riley Whiting 30hr; a Johnathan Burr 30hr and two with no labels.

Anybody with parts to help out would be appreciated.

Paul
    paul.henion@schefenacker-usa.com

2. Paul H

Paul H Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Anyone have extra wooden works movements or dials they want to get rid of:???:?

A good friend of mine is winding down in the years and reducing his collection. I had the good fortune to buy a Rodney Brace 8 day wood works from him for restoration. I've started on that one and I'm having a great time with it.

He also sold me 5 wood works cases (no movements or dials) for the fabulous price of $5.00 per case. Included were a Marsh Gilbert + Co. 8 day ww; a Riley Whiting 30hr; a Johnathan Burr 30hr and two with no labels.

Anybody with parts to help out would be appreciated.

Paul
    paul.henion@schefenacker-usa.com

3. Cynthia

Cynthia New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Hi Paul -

I don't know if this will help. This is a webpage of someone who makes wooden gear clocks. He sells wooden-gear clock kits. He makes lots of gears, and they are all piled up in the picture. Perhaps he would be willing to help you out. The webpage is: gear art technology
    His e-mail is at the bottom of the page.

I am aware that the new movement of wooden-gear clock making is not quite the same as the old wooden-gear clockies. Hope you find some help.

cynthia (c:

4. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Paul, There are at least five or six wooden clock movements currently listed for sale on eBay. Looks like a couple of shelf movement, three Grandfather, and one partial movement. I have personally acquired both a movement and a dial throught eBay in the past. Proper dials seem to be a little rarer than movements. There will normally be several bidders; so you will have to be willing to step to the plate with your wallet. Regards,

5. Luke Reuter

Luke Reuter Guest

Hi Cynthia,
    I saw elsewhere that you were serious about wooden gear clocks. I've been meaning to get that way for some time now. I first saw an article in a book (now out of print, but available for $4-5 on amazon.com) Called "The Best of Fine Woodworking, Small Woodworking Projects" P. 1992 by the Taunton Press. Amongst the articles are two by Wayne Westphale who at the time was selling wooden works clocks in Steamboat Springs Colorado. His business is (was?) "Contemporary Time" His techniques were more suited to metal working than woodworking (which is my orientation), but I'm trying to adapt. In a few years, I may have a decent start on this. Just thought I'd pipe up, in case you've missed this.

6. fume happy

fume happy Registered User

Mar 31, 2005
    Computers
    NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    five bucks a case!! sweet deal man

7. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Paul H,

I would contact George Bruno or Don Bruno; they have alot of wood works movements, parts, etc.

Check NAWCC website for links to their website...

Andy Dervan

8. Paul H

Paul H Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Andy;

I already knew about the Brunos, but was hoping to find an original as opposed to a repro movement.