wooden works door assemblies

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Bruce Barnes, Dec 15, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    I recall there being a discussion regarding 30 hr,wooden work clocks with half columns and the doors on these clocks.
    Were they dated by the door assembly or by manufacturer? Some opened the whole door (locking mechanism on the side) including the columns. Where others had a door between the columns and opened the door only that included the locking assembly.
    Bruce

2. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bruce, the earliest wood movement half column and splat shelf clocks did have the doors to which you refer- see this recent thread for more information:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=67269

That said, my unscientific impression is that while eventually most all the makers went to the framed door, and it can be generally considered a later feature, there was quite of bit of overlap chronologically, when both styles were being produced simultaneously, possibly right until the middle 1830s.

3. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    Thanks Peter,that clears things up somewhat,my sister has one with earlier version door assembly and we were wondering when the transition occured.
    Bruce