Wooden Tower Clocks.

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by tomvaughn, Dec 19, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tomvaughn

tomvaughn Registered User

Jun 12, 2013
    I would like to do a research project on wooden tower clocks. I have been trying to find churches, or towers that have wooden movements. I live in Terryville and have been able to wind the Plymouth Congregational church clock before; I have been to Thomaston church, and seen the movement there (the original wooden movement is at the American Clock and Watch museum). My friend judy the Plymouth Town historian's father once maintained the Terryville Congregational church clock also! I know that the original Bristol Congregational church tower clock is a Samuel Terry, that is now at the clock museum, and that Burlington Congregational church has a wooden movement in the storage room behind the church. This is all of my knowledge of local wooden works tower clocks. What are some other towns that have Wooden movement tower clocks? And who are the makers? The following images are of Plymouth Congregational church, Bristol movement, and Thomaston movement. According to records, the plymouth movement is the last Eli Terry wooden works tower clock, although the Thomaston movement could have been worked on by Eli Terry. Plymouth movement is still working; Bristol was removed in about 1932, and Thomaston around 1974 plymouth clock.jpg 377.jpg 378.jpg

2. gilbert

gilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom, have you perused Fred Shelley's tower clock book? There are several mentioned there. The museum has a copy or two in the library.