Wooden plate movement ID help... not sure how to add text...

EBD

Mar 20, 2022
Country
Ok sorry somehow, I wasn't able to figure out how to add text to the post along with the pictures.. I would like to get some information on this movement... to me it looks like a grandfather clock movement but i will digress too more informed minds... thank you!

EBD

Mar 20, 2022
Country
Ok... so maybe I am asking the wrong questions? sorry if that is the case... would anyone have any information about this movement... German, French? The end caps on the trundles appear to be made of wood... I am looking to restore this movement and make a clock out of it so any information would be greatly appreciated...

EBD

Mar 20, 2022
Country
Ok... so maybe I am asking the wrong questions? sorry if that is the case... would anyone have any information about this movement... German, French? The end caps on the trundles appear to be made of wood... I am looking to restore this movement and make a clock out of it so any information would be greatly appreciated...

EBD

Mar 20, 2022
Country
After some very light cleaning it seems the arbors are made of wood. truly nobody here has any idea as to what this movement is?... I have done as much research as i am able... there are no markings on the movement it's self... the silver covering the wood was done when it was made or was this something that has happened over time?... anyone....anyone.. bueller?

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
The movement is from the Black Forest area, circa 1810-1840, maybe even a bit earlier. The wood arbors are the indicators of earlier work than many with iron arbors. They (their iron arbors) were widely used in Penn made clocks circa 1830-1840, but most of the wood arbor movements remained in Europe

EBD

Mar 20, 2022
Country
The movement is from the Black Forest area, circa 1810-1840, maybe even a bit earlier. The wood arbors are the indicators of earlier work than many with iron arbors. They (their iron arbors) were widely used in Penn made clocks circa 1830-1840, but most of the wood arbor movements remained in Europe
Thank you!... is it safe to remove the silvering on the arbors? Murphy Oil Soap is what I have been using... it doesn't appear to be a cuckoo clock... and thank you again for your reply..

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
Thank you!... is it safe to remove the silvering on the arbors? Murphy Oil Soap is what I have been using... it doesn't appear to be a cuckoo clock... and thank you again for your reply..
I'm not sure what you mean by "silvering" on the arbors, but Murphy Oil Soap is perfect for cleaning wooden movements. I've been using it for almost 40 years. Do you have the wooden dial associated with this movement?

EBD

Mar 20, 2022
Country
I'm not sure what you mean by "silvering" on the arbors, but Murphy Oil Soap is perfect for cleaning wooden movements. I've been using it for almost 40 years. Do you have the wooden dial associated with this movement?
Peter, Thank you for your response... All I have at the moment is the movement... I have been told that the "silver" on the arbors is paint used to prevent the wood from drying out and splitting.. I'm still in the process of figuring out what the movement was used for... I was able to obtain a similar movement that is missing parts but still had the hands... so getting there... a bit at a time.. and yes... the Murphy Oil Soap is working beautifully...

294111936_814373649946308_2145117751474382557_n.jpg

EBD

Mar 20, 2022
Country
Peter... no I don't have the dial... where and what would you recommend looking for?

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
I´ve read that the silver painting on the bobbins was intended to make them look like metal instead of wood , giving the clock a more valuable appearance. I´d leave it untouched!
BTW have You calculated or found out the pendulum length?
Burkhard

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I´ve read that the silver painting on the bobbins was intended to make them look like metal instead of wood , giving the clock a more valuable appearance. I´d leave it untouched!
Burkhard
I agree that the paint was used to make the arbors look like metal. If you haven't removed it yet, leave it on. it is likely original.

Uhralt

EBD

Mar 20, 2022
Country
Burkhard
I was told to make a pendulum of about 90cm... I made one out of brass rod and I made the bob out of a wooden disk about 10cm in diameter
20220811_164557.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyB821
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre