Wooden plate clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by jerry w, Feb 25, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jerry w

jerry w Registered User

Feb 25, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I've been working on this woodsen plate movement off and on since July. The movement was so cruddy when I got it I didnt think I would ever get it to run again. Well..........im still trying. replaced several bushings, now will run for 3 to 5 minuts and stop dead......had this apart so many times its starting to wear out! ...Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you have any specific questions please email and Ill reply. I do have one concern but I was told from the local clock shop it shouldnt be an issue. It appears that the bushing that supports the front end of the run winding arbor(it is a chain movement) is elongated. This bushing is much larger than the others(about 1/8th in). Everything else is tight. Also he did mention the pallets, but when I look at them closle, they are not grooved or worn. ...again........any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would help to see a few pictures of the movement you are working on. Any bushing or pivot hole that is visually elongated needs to be replaced before doing anything else. I would check a couple simple things before digging deeper. First, is the clock "in beat"? If you are not sure how to tell just ask. Second, are you using the correct weights? That depends on the movement and whether it is an 8-day movement, or a 1-day (30 hour) movement. Have you oiled any brass bushed points?

RC