Wooden movement weights (T & S)

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by about_time, Jun 6, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. about_time

about_time Registered User

Sep 11, 2008
    Jack of all trades (self employed)
    St. Paul, MN
    Good evening! I got a wooden T & S movement some time ago that was supposed to have come from a David Dutton clock. I have since read that this movement was made by Boardman & Wells and that they supplied this movement to several other clock makers. I have seen the same movement in an L. & J. Frisbie column and splat clock as well as in two hollow column clocks (one made by George Bachelder and one by Daniel Pratt). I am building a case for the movement and have already determined the pendulum length. The one piece of information that I have yet to find is regarding the weights. I see plenty of them on eBay and clock parts dealers, but it would be helpful to know their actual weights. Does anyone know if there were particular sized weights for the hollow column or column and splat clocks with 30 hour wooden movements? I'd appreciate any info. I have attached pictures of the clock I'm building and one pic of the movement. Thanks!

Dave

Attached Files:

2. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi,
    Nice job on the case.
    The weights that you will probably want to use are cast iron,round,slightly tapered,with a loop on top,and weigh between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 lbs. Use the lighter weight on the strike side.They are available from Merritt's and Timesavers. If you want old ones,you can ask around-somebody's got some(like a whole shelf full!).
    Hope this helps
    tom

3. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Assuming you are using a 30 hr. wood movement and it is a full size shelf clock, I think the weights you need to drive the movement(particularly the time side) will need to be closer to 4 lbs.

4. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Traditional wooden works weights for a normal 30hr movement are made square, and weight 4lbs each.

5. about_time

about_time Registered User

Sep 11, 2008
    Jack of all trades (self employed)
    St. Paul, MN
    Thanks guys,

I'll try a 4 pounder on the time and 3-1/2 on the strike. Not sure about the square or round, but since my clock will not be an original (I guess it is since I'm making it from my own design), I suppose the shape won't be all that important. I want to have some way of displaying some of the movement since most people I know have never seen one, so I decided to make a glass dial for it. I have glass from old windows (pre-1910) and Today I got a piece cut and successfully drilled three holes for the 2 winding arbors and the center shaft. I'm reverse painting it with the dial design of a Terry Pillar and Scroll clock. The center will be clear, so the escape wheel and verge along with the count wheel and part of the count hook will be seen. I just finished painting in the time track and am waiting for that to dry. I'm living in a victorian house that was built in 1885 and I'm going to try my hand at reverse painting of the house on the lower tablet I'll have in the door. The upper glass will just be plain old wrinkly glass.

Anyway, thanks again!

Dave

6. Dave B

Dave B Banned

Jun 7, 2008
    Civil Engineer; woodwind musician; clock repairman
    Westminster. MD
    Country Flag:
    The heavier weight should be on the strike side, not the time train.

7. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually, the heavier weight always goes on the time side.

8. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually, almost all Terry type wood movement shelf clocks came equipped with round weights. Clocks with groaner style movements and a few with Torrington style movements did use weights with a square cross section. Almost all of the original sets of Terry style weights I have weighed over the years were somewhere between 3-4 pounds each, with the heavier of the set intended to drive the time train.