Wooden movement minute hand not turning.

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by fullpint37, Feb 4, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fullpint37

fullpint37 Registered User

Jul 3, 2006
    I'm in need of some help. I am a clock hoobyist and have a wood movement where the movement is ticking, but the minute hand is not moving and thus, no strike either. Can someone tell me what I have wrong please? Is the holding plate on the bottom of the minute arbour too tight? To loose? Or is something else wrong.
    This movement ran good but the strike side idn't do anything. I finally got that working and let it run in my test stand it rang the hour twice but since has stopped. Again, the moevement is still ticking , just the minute hand is not moving. If I move the minute hand, it will move on its own for maybe 5 minutes and then stop again.Thanks any and everyone in advance for the help.

Chuck

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How hard is it to move? It could be that the pinion gear (interacts with the large wheel) is loose and spinning on the arbor.

3. fullpint37

fullpint37 Registered User

Jul 3, 2006
    To Shutterbug and all. It was the plate holding the wheel to the minute arbour. I tightened it and the movement now works fine.
    Thanks shutterbug.