Wooden movement identification and repair

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Ken L., Jan 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ken L.

Ken L. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Steam locomotive engineer at Washington Park and Z
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is there any kind of book or reference where one can look to try to identify the makers of different wooden movements? I have only been working on clocks as a hobby for a couple of years and I am learning every day just how little i know!
    Before I work on one of the two "good" wooden movement clocks I have, I was given this project movement to use as a learning tool. One gear in the strike train is missing several teeth, and both the hour hand tube and the minute hand shaft are broken. I have Tom Temple's "Extreme Restoration " book and "The Repair of American Wood Geared Clock Movements " by Barlow; are there any other good repair references?
    In a brief perusal of the wooden works forum I have seen the name Don Bruno several times; is he an expert on this subject?
    I am attaching a photo of my project movement in case somebody can tell me more about it!
    Thanks
    Ken 20190110_180003.jpg

2. Jim_Miller

Jim_Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is an article in one of the past bulletins, if you do a search out wood works identification you should find it. The article contains a spreadsheet containing different characteristics to help.
    Good luck,
    Jim

3. Ken L.

Ken L. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim, I did a search and was unable to locate the article you referenced. I did note one article that mentions the "Snowden Taylor" identification system, but no information was given on where to find that system of identification. Any further help will be appreciated!
    Thanks

4. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
  5. Jim_Miller

Jim_Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ken, you got further with the search than I did.
    Jim

6. Ken L.

Ken L. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you! Lots of data to go through. I realize a lot of the entries don't have photos but a cursory scan of the pictures doesn't seem to show a movement like I have. Unless someone out there can identify it, it will probably remain a mystery to me. I do hope I can get it to run, though.
    I would be interested in hearing opinions on the relative merits or disadvantages to replacing wooden teeth either by dovetailing in a new wooden section, or by creating an epoxy mold. Curious what those of you who collect wooden works clocks think of the two methods.
    Thanks again for helping me learn!

7. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Setting aside the presence of brass bushings for the winding arbors for the moment, the shop details are consistent with a type 9.223 (Boardman or Boardman & Wells), 9.224 (unknown manufacturer), and 9.225 (unknown). The brass bushings appear to be original, and Snowden doesn't note whether any of these movements have been found with bushings. Perhaps not a definitive answer, but my money is on Chauncey Boardman or Boardman & Wells as the maker. Others who have seen more Boardman movements may be able to comment on whether his firms were ever known to use bushings for the winding arbors.
    Mike

8. Ken L.

Ken L. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks! I am learning, I guess. Now I need to figure out how to make the missing verge, and how many teeth it should span on a 32 tooth escape wheel.