• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Wooden Hammond Gregory?

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
I have been following and won a wooden case Hammond Gregory on Ebay. I know Hammond produced a black and brown bakelite cased Gregory, and this wooden case Gregory looks identical to those cases. The strange thing, or the only difference between the bakelite and the wooden one is on the back the power cord is split into two cords and each enters the clock on different sides. Puzzled, did Hammond make three models of the Gregory? He produced three case styles of the Tripoli. I can't wait to get it.

Russ

Attachments

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Russ. There are some suspicious details in the photo of the backside of your Hammond clock; first as you state, that the cord is split.

The backplate does not appear to fit the wood case very well and in addition, the nuts attaching the movement to the back plate are missing as well as the studs that should project through the holes.

Additionally, the nameplate is miss-positioned on the back plate and maybe not original. If properly positioned, it would interfere with the cord hole.

attachment.jpg

It appears that you've got some electrical re-work ahead.

Last edited:

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Russ. Neither I nor Scotty addressed your question about the Hammond Gregory model, "did Hammond make three models of the Gregory?"

I believe not. Just the Bakelite and wood cased models. It would not make sense for Hammond to have split the cord; it would not have passed the electrical safety requirements needed to have the UL or other fire safety approvals.

I suspect the example shown in your photos is a marriage of a wood case and a once Bakelite cased movement and back plate.

Be sure to replace the split cord and add an appropriate hole grommet with a new cord assembly.

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
I have both the Black and Brown Gregorys in my collection. I know the cord is not split on them and enters on the right side of the back. I will replace the cord when I get it and really check it out when I open it up for that. I may do surgery on the rotor. I hope the calendar feature is operable, I don't like messing with that feature to many gogs and gears to line up.

Thanks guys I like little oddities like this.

My brown and black Gregorys. The black one caused the most problem with it's calendar feature and re-wiring.

Russ

Attachments

Last edited:

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
The question of the split cord. It was not split although it appeared that way in the picture. The cord enters the clock on the clock's left hand side, my right. Attached is the way it looks now. Next question is I wonder how many of these wooden Gregories were made? When you research them only the Brown and Black Bakelite models show up. I also wonder if you could have bought a wooden Gregory with a brown baklite movement?

The calendar feature does work beautifully.

We live, we learn.

Rusty

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ianrushy
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-