Wooden gear clock....Please help

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Ajay, Jul 11, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ajay

Ajay Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    Pharmaceutical Sales Executive
    India
    Country Flag:
    Hi All
    I got this clock without any visible damages.The weights were not attached and there was no rope to hang the weight.There are two weights. I do not know whether it is complete. There are two hands, and a small bell.

So please guide me how to hang the weights and make this clock run.Is it complete or missing something ?

Regards
    Ajay

Attached Files:

2. Stanley Stocker

Stanley Stocker Registered User

Jul 6, 2011
    Full time clock and watch repair and restoration
    Bentonville, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a style of clock known as a Foliot clock.

Here's a link to some plans so you can see how a similar clock is built and set up:

http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk/clock3.html

Your photos do not show the two small weights with wire loops or bails that go on each end of the arm that swings side to side at the top of the movement. The two weights are most likely joined by a cord that is looped around the pulley sheave on the lowest wheel.

From the photo I can't tell how the strike works, I'm guessing the great wheel turns once an hour and each hour there is a single strike.

Sorry to a bit vague, but hopefully this info will let you sort it out pretty quickly.

Take care,
    Stan Stocker
    Bentonville, Virginia

3. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Scottie-TX, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
    You've said it well, STAN. Your clock is complete with exception of the two small buckets that hang from the foliot arm. They shall be apx one ounce each. The weights look correct and original. As STAN wrote, they hang across the lowest wheel in a valley that has a coarse texture to provide driving friction. The big weight will be on the left, the small on right. The purpose of the small weight is to provide tension to the rope. Fully lifted, your clock will run about twelve hours. There is probably a pin on the back of that rope wheel that lifts and drops the hammer once each hour to provide a single passing strike. I believe I note also that the steel rod at very top is bent upward. You'll want to straighten it so it is on a horizontal plane and then make a thread suspension such that the verge staff hangs from it and the pins strike the pallet flags apx. on center of flags.
    Here you can see many others similar to yours and decide what kind of buckets to make. Yours probably had wooden ones apx. 3/4" X 3/4" X apx 1 1/2" tall and drilled about 3/8" dia. for lead inserts.
    FOLIOTS

4. Ajay

Ajay Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    India
    Country Flag:
    Dear Scottie / Stanley
    Thank you so much for your reply.It is missing the two small weights which hang from the swinging arm. I tried hanging the weights using a cotton rope,but the clock is not running. I think it requires some cleaning !!! ( On the metal parts like pivots and pinions )What do you say ? I do not see any broken teeth, but it may be worn out. I will be posting few close ups of the wheels please let me know what to do.

Any guess, how old it is ?

Regards
    Ajay

5. Ajay

Ajay Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    India
    Country Flag:
    Hi
    Few pics after dismantling the clock. I noticed some of the teeth worn out.Is it going to stop the clock from working ? Please let me know what to do ?

Regards
    Ajay

Attached Files:

6. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't understand your question:
    I don't understand your question. "What do we say?"
    Not fully understanding, I say treat them as any other clock. Polish pivots. Clean bushings. I often install brass bushings as some have only a hole in the wood. If it has delrin (plastic) bushings, I use no oil on them. I don't detect worn teeth from the picture. In all probability they will not keep clock from working. Key here often is to make sure verge staff is aligned properly with pinwheel and has maximum bite as this is a recoil and works best with max recoil.

7. Ajay

Ajay Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    India
    Country Flag:
    Hi Scottie
    I tried hanging the weights as you suggested.But the clock is not working.When I applied pressure on the middle wheel ( Wheel just above the winding wheel ) the escape wheel started rotating and clock started ticking for some time.But this is not happening when the weight is hung.

There are brass bushings for all the three wheels except the escape wheel.( It has an L shaped metal clamp with an hole. See the pics ).

Look at the third photo ( wheel in my hand ) its teeth is worn an narrowed ! Is it ok ?

Regards
    Ajay

Attached Files:

8. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    O.K. I see the pinion leaves worn on the escape wheel. Should work as power there is very low. How much does weight weigh? Yeah - the "ELL" shaped piece is the front bushing for the Escape wheel, so shaped for staff to pass behind it. Make certain escape wheel has minimal end play.

9. Ajay

Ajay Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    India
    Country Flag:
    Hi Scottie
    Thanks for the reply.I am away from home now.Will be back on Saturday and get back to you.If I remember correct the bigger weight weigh 550 or 600 grams and the smaller one is 100 grams.

There is more play when you put escape wheel in the " L " shaped clamp. I will post a close up photo on Saturday after putting the wheel.

Thank you
    Regards
    Ajay

10. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 Scottie-TX, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    Altho weights look great, they very probably are not proper. 550/600 is very much on the light side. More typically would be 900 to 1K . Try that. Especially with no buckets. That wag oughta take off wildly without buckets. You did say it performed with assistance. One here that is similar uses 1Kgm. The small weight will be O.K.
    If you need to eliminate escape wheel end play, that ELL shaped bushing can be pulled out as desired. If you lack depth of bite on the pallet flags, you can put washers behind the escape wheel and then may need to push the ELL in further.

11. Ajay

Ajay Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    India
    Country Flag:
    I will get back to you with the correct weight and more pics on Saturday.Thanks a lot for the reply.
    Ajay

12. Ajay

Ajay Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    India
    Country Flag:
    Hi Scottie
    After cleaning all the pivots and pinions it started ticking slowly but gradually stoped.I weighed the weights today and they are 610 gms and 160 gms respectively!!!!!!

I have attached the photo after putting the escape wheel please have a look at the photo and let me know whether the play is too high.....( If you can make out from the photo ).

Thank you
    Ajay

Attached Files:

13. Scottie-TX

Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You'll adjust the "ELL" for minimum end play. One can't really look at the position and make any conclusion. It's the amount of end play that's important. The pinwheel shall be positioned for maximum bite on the pallet flags. The pins should land at least a sixteenth inch or more on the pallet face, amount of bite must be equal on both top and bottom flag or the clock will beat unevenly. Finally, maximum bite must also allow for safe drops so that flags don't foul on pins. 610 gms is DEFINITELY not enough weight. When you subtract the 160 counterweight from it, you're left with only 450 grams driving force. It WILL need at least 1K to run it.

14. Ajay

Ajay Registered User

Aug 17, 2009
    India
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much Scottie.I will try this and get back to you.
    Ajay