Wooden Dial Question for Seth Thomas Transition Clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by ShawnHVoils, Sep 8, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ShawnHVoils

ShawnHVoils Registered User

Jun 15, 2005
    Hey Everyone, I have a question on dating the wooden dials on the older wooden works Seth Thomas transitional column and splat clocks. I was fortunate enough to acquire another one about three weeks ago. Is it true that the older wooden dials have the minute chapter located inside of the numbers chapter? The numbers chapter on my dial are also in Roman style. The dial fits perfectly, but I wanted to know if it is considered correct? And also maybe the time span of when these dials were made. Thanks so much, Shawn

2. ShawnHVoils

Jun 15, 2005
    Hey Everyone, I have a question on dating the wooden dials on the older wooden works Seth Thomas transitional column and splat clocks. I was fortunate enough to acquire another one about three weeks ago. Is it true that the older wooden dials have the minute chapter located inside of the numbers chapter? The numbers chapter on my dial are also in Roman style. The dial fits perfectly, but I wanted to know if it is considered correct? And also maybe the time span of when these dials were made. Thanks so much, Shawn

3. Paul H

Paul H Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Hi Shawn;

I believe you are correct in the assuption that the dials with the minute track inside the numbers are the earlier ones. Having this type of dial for a short drop "transitional clock" is appropriate.

Transitional clocks with this type of dial probably date between 1826-1830

Have fun gettin her all cleaned up and running. That's one that would fit real nice in my house.
    Paul

4. ShawnHVoils

Jun 15, 2005
    Paul, Thanks very much for the info. I am trying to include a picture with this reply so everyone could see the dial. Thanks again, Shawn

http://www.flickr.com/30/41607017_e035122ca7.jpg

5. ShawnHVoils

Jun 15, 2005
    I am trying again for a picture. If it does not work, I will send a picture to anyone who wants one. Thanks again, Shawn

Seth Thomas Dial

6. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Deceased

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock....

Regards,

Richard T.

7. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The hands look like Jerome Ogee (Maltese) hands. They are probably replacements.

8. Paul H

Paul H Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Shawn;

The hands should be "terry hands" available in any of the catalogs. Nice clock, and will look nicer with the correct hands. Looks like the stencilling on the columns looks pretty worn. Is the splatt re-stencilled or original?? Should have a bell, not a gong. That's a great looking original tablet. Does it have the old putty holding it in? Would it be possible to get a good digital closeup of the tablet for my archives. I like having them for reference for when I paint a tablet.

The veneer might clean up and look better if you go over it with GoJo waterless hand cleaner and fine steel wool. Wipe it off with a clean rag and re-wipe again later on and it will bring out a great patina. If you do the same on the columns (very slowly and very carefully) the original stencilling might come out more as well.

The label probably states "invented by Eli Terry, Made and sold by Seth Thomas". Thus putting the clock to 1827 - 1830. If no mention of Eli Terry, it is before 1827.

Paul

9. ShawnHVoils

Jun 15, 2005
    Paul, Thanks again for the info. I will try and get a picture of the tablet and send it to your email that's in your text. Both glasses are totally original and still have original putty. I am actually already looking for original Terry style hands. Besides hands, all I really need for it are original returns, as someone was already in the process of replacing them when I bought the clock, and they never got around to finishing the work. The rest of the wood on the clock is nearly perfect. The splat does have original stencilling and the columns look much brighter in person than the picture shows for some reason. The splat is still a bit brighter though. Thanks again, Shawn