Wood veneer help

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by darticus, May 4, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. darticus

darticus Registered User

Apr 14, 2012
    DELI OWNER
    SPARTA, NEW JERSEY
    Country Flag:
    I have an old Jerome steeple clock. Some veneer is peeling in places. What would be the best way to proceed? I have done some veneer before. SEE PIC. Thanks Ron

Attached Files:

2. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Donor Sponsor

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tedious we know but first determine specie of wood. Rosewood was very common to many of these. I soak the veneer in a glycerine and water solution for perhaps one day. Then I wrap it around a piece of wooden dowel or brass stock close to the radius of the damage. Let it dry for several days, remove from dowel, and apply. If area is large - replace it entirely. Patching small areas is of course the most challenging if you're trying to match existing veneer. G'luck matey.

3. darticus

darticus Registered User

Apr 14, 2012
    DELI OWNER
    SPARTA, NEW JERSEY
    Country Flag:
    FANTASTIC! Have you ever tried peel n stick or the flexible veneer? Is it hard to remove old veneer? Thanks Ron

4. darticus

darticus Registered User

Apr 14, 2012
    DELI OWNER
    SPARTA, NEW JERSEY
    Country Flag:
    Maybe a peel and stick or a flexible veneer is the way to go? Maybe a good winter project. Is it hard to do the round edge of a clock like mine? How would be the best way to try and remove the veneer that on the edges? Thanks Ron

Attached Files:

5. Scottie-TX

Donor Sponsor

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have used PSA veneer. (Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) It is CRAPP. I've had disastrous results even on totally flat surfaces. For radius - curved apps. I use only wood glue like Elmers. Apply glue to both surfaces and clamp any way you choose. For your steeple I'd use clear shipping tape. Protect veneer with an isolation barrier of plain paper and wrap with tape.
    Removing old veneer can be either a breeze or a tedious process depending on existing bond.

6. Patch

Patch Registered User

May 11, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Scottie: Thanks for the advice on the PSA! You just saved me a bunch of heartache!

7. darticus

darticus Registered User

Apr 14, 2012
    DELI OWNER
    SPARTA, NEW JERSEY
    Country Flag:
    Are you saying use the packing tape to remove the old veneer? Than use elmer's glue to put on new veneer? Thanks Ron

8. Scottie-TX

Donor Sponsor

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No. I'm suggesting use of packing tape as a gluing clamp. Make CERTAIN veneer is properly positioned. A paper barrier prevents the adhesive from contacting the veneer. Wrap firmly and allow to dry for a few days.