Wood Repair to !8th century Longcase clock

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by ChrisCam, May 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi I have repaired some damaged wood to an 18th century longcase clock (my clock by the way). The repair involved. I have used wood die to achieve a near perfect colour match to the old dark mahogany. Question is do I finish these smallish pieces first with clear lacquer or just polish? I would be enclined to just beeswax but hey thats why I am posting?
    Regards
    Chris

2. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would expect a 18th century wood clock case to be finished in shellac. I would never use a lacquer. Test to see if that is a shellac finish by taking a white cotton cloth wet it with alcohol and rub the finish in a non-conspicuous place. If some of the finish rubs off on the rag then its shellac. If it is the retouching you want to do is easy. Apply a light coat (not more than a one pound cut) to the area needing repair, feathering out the edges. You can use steel wool to flaten out the shellac if needed. Apply more coats if needed. Then finish by cleaning the case and apply a coat of wax. A beeswax polish would be a good choice.

3. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Joseph.
    Chris

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Shellac is wonderful! Search for shellac on this forum. you will find a lot of useful information of how to use it. One coat is usually not sufficient. If the result is too shiny you can use 0000 steel wool to flatten it a bit , followed by wax.

Uhralt

5. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks that's useful
    Chris