Wood clock pendula

jboger

Jan 7, 2019
Country
I have collected a number of pendula which I think date from the 1830s, possibly earlier. They are rather large, made of lead, with a face stamped with a design in thin brass. I speculate that these were commonly used on wood works clocks such as 'pillar and scrolls' as well as 'column and splats'. Has anyone done an illustrated, systematic and exhaustive (one can always hope) study of these? I'd like to see the full range of styles and get an idea of what else is "out there" that I might look for and possibly find.

If no such study has been made, would it be too much to ask for people to post pictures of theirs? Here's a picture of one I picked up today (on the left) alongside one I've had for some time. They are similar but struck from different dies. I have others with different designs.

John

IMG_2368.jpg IMG_2369.jpg

jboger

Jan 7, 2019
Country
I was overwhelmed by the response to my post, so much so I thought people might not be interested in something as lowly as the pendulum. But I've persevered and have now decided to illustrate some more examples of clock pendula. Perhaps this will whet someone's appetite and he or she will illustrate his or hers.

I associate these pendula with clocks of the 1830s, certainly wood works clocks but also early brass movements like strap movements. I've arranged them into three types: (1) the top is a loner and seems to have leaves (oak?) arranged around a central sphere; (2) those with concentric circles; and (4) those with radiating spirals. The latter is of two types: the radiating lines curve either clockwise or counterclockwise. This is not a statistically large sample, but it would seem the last category is the most common. They are all about two to three inches in diameter (50 to 75 mm)

I believe I can make the following observations: these are all stamped from thin sheets of brass on lead. That is, these are die struck. All the illustrated samples were struck from different dies. I'll hazard a guess that the brass and lead were struck at the same time such that the design we see was not impressed solely on the brass but also on the underlying lead in a one-step process. I am not sure of that. Another possibility is that the lead was cast in a mold with the design and then the brass applied in a two-step process. I really don't know.

I would be interested to see other examples. And I wonder if their might be a British predecessor for these. That is, are there British examples that are similar in spirit?

IMG_2923.jpg IMG_2924.jpg

jboger

Jan 7, 2019
Country
I like your response.

I fear people will think that I'm chastising everyone for not responding the first time. Not really. I wrote it with a bit of tongue in cheek. But, having said that, I really would like to see other examples. (I also think to use fora as the plural of forum rather than forums, but some people might think I'm a snob.)

Bottom line: I do find these pendulums/a interesting.

Reactions: Wimberleytech

Wimberleytech

NAWCC Member
Jan 27, 2022
Country
I serviced a Sessions today and the pendulum has an "S" stamped on it. Circa 1910 I think.
Recently I repaired a clock belonging to the local Sheriff. It was missing a pendulum, so I made one out of a fishing weight.
All of my horological work is done, gratis (whoa! Latin again?) so I did not feel guilty doing this. If the clock ever ends up in your shop, you will surely wonder!
I hope I am not banned now that the world knows I made a pendulum out of a fishing weight.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I like your response.

I fear people will think that I'm chastising everyone for not responding the first time. Not really. I wrote it with a bit of tongue in cheek. But, having said that, I really would like to see other examples. (I also think to use fora as the plural of forum rather than forums, but some people might think I'm a snob.)

Bottom line: I do find these pendulums/a interesting.
We have a thread dedicated to interesting bobs and pendulums:

(1) Post your Interesting PENDULUMS AND BOBS | NAWCC Forums

Regards.

jboger

Jan 7, 2019
Country
new2clocks:

Thank you. I didn't know, but now that I do, I'm not surprised that there is such a forum. I shall post my pictures over there and also search for any images of pendula similar to mine but hopefully different.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sara.fagan73
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller