Wood chopper cuckoo clock running problem

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Jmurrell, Oct 11, 2018 at 5:14 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jmurrell

Jmurrell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired mental health worker
    Southeastern Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am working on a wood chopper cuckoo clock. I have bushed the movement and I have tested all the gears to see that I had end play and they turn freely.
    I have run the movement on a test stand and it works fine. The problem is that when I put it in the case it will only run a short time then it stops.
    I have checked the beat and that seems fine. However these clocks have a problem in that the wire of the crutch fork that runs the men cutting the wood, robs power away from the escapement and I suspect that could be the problem.
    What I don't know is there a secret in setting up these clocks?
    If I add extra weight to the time train it will work but if I run the same weight on all trains it stops.
    I am currently using 320 gram weights on the clock.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    John Murrell

2. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Some picture might help

3. Chris D

Chris D Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You are using the correct weight, 320g. These are a pain to get working sometimes. What I do with them when I have issues is this... I remove the whole balcony assembly that the wood choppers are on. There is one small screw in the middle (inside the clock) to take out and two staples on the front, one on each side. Remove the screw inside and pry off the balcony with the staples still in there. As you're pulling it out, watch out for the wire that comes off of the choppers arm, it will get stuck on the star wheel on the music box shaft. Take off the whole balcony and try and clean the joints as best you can. I usually drop some alcohol in there or even some brake kleen, no oil should be used. This is just to make sure all of the joints are as clean and loose as possible. Then I put the clock on my hanger (you need a hanger so you can run it and see the back of the clock) and level it and adjust the vertical wire (if needed) that runs the crosscut saw guys so that it is straight up/down. Then I start the clock and set the beat by adjusting the crutch. Once everything looks good and it's in beat, I put the balcony back on and put it back on my hanger (level). If the wire from the verge is touching either side of the wire that runs the saw guys, I bend the saw guys wire until neither side is touching the verge wire. You want it to be centered so that when the verge rocks back and forth it moves the saw people equally to each side. Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions.

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #4 Willie X, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:50 PM
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 9:05 PM
    If you suspect the animation, just take it out play and see how the clock it runs without it. No need to start fixing things unless it is actually the cause of your problem.

Cuckoos run best when put up a little on the loose side. Also, the short pivots often have a pronounced radius where the pivot roots into the arbor. This little radius has to be removed or matched with a slight chamfer of the inside edge of each bushing, or it will bind.

Yep, pictures help more than anything. Willie X

5. Chris D

Chris D Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you don't know how a Regula 25 works... Are pictures really going to help?

6. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    #6 R&A, Oct 12, 2018 at 8:04 AM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 8:10 AM
    Your a funny guy There are so many different application using this movement Picture always help. It helps believe me If you read the introduction to these post it say please include pictures. Just to add a helping hand to those that don't know what a Regula 25 or a 34 is

7. Jmurrell

Jmurrell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Male
    Southeastern Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Jmurrell, Oct 12, 2018 at 9:52 AM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 10:00 AM
    I am just about to read the replies that I have received but I am going to post a couple of pictures of the clock first. Thanks for the information guys. I will post a picture of the movement from the back of the clock later if that will help. Willie I didn't know that about the pivots on a cuckoo clock.
    John Murrell

2018-10-12 08.40.40.jpg 2018-10-12 08.40.23.jpg

8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The OP never mentioned a Regula 25, although that would be a good guess.

And, "are pictures really going to help", I would say yes, it stops most of the guessing. Willie X

9. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    There were a series of these sold during the 70's and were very popular. I sold allot of these during Xmas and Mothers day and Fathers day. I like the eloping style the best. Have worked on many of these through the years.

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What was mentioned about the pivot points for the arms is really important. Any drag there will stop the clock. Also note what was said about the sloppy pivots. Cuckoo's don't like being confined. The weights slightly distort the plates, so sloppy pivot holes are the rule.

11. Jmurrell

Jmurrell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Male
    Southeastern Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks shutterbug I may have to take the movement back apart to address the pivots but it did run when I had the movement on a stand by itself.

I would like to try a few of Chris D's ideas first.

When the clock is level the vertical wire that runs the sawing guys is not in the center of the wire from the crosscut guys. I am going to fix that first and if that doesn't cure the problem then I will do what Willie suggested about letting the clock run without the animation.

At any rate it is a Regular #25. Sorry I forgot to let everyone know that. I am going to post a picture from the back of the clock so you can see the movement and the wires to the sawing guys.

John

2018-10-12 16.09.14.jpg

12. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    When the pendulum is hanging straight down the wire for the animation has to be in the middle of the lope or it will rob power to the swing

13. Chris D

Chris D Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 8, 2009
    Coplay, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I apologize R&A and Willie, that was an inappropriate post. I just want to help out and share my knowledge like the both of you probably do also. I have worked on so many cuckoo clocks that for most of them, I don't need a picture. But I realize now that it would probably help someone else in the future that reads this thread. Sorry again, and hopefully there's no hard feelings in the future.

Chris

14. Jmurrell

Jmurrell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Male
    Southeastern Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I did what Willie suggested first that I should take the animation out of play.

I decided that Chris was right also so I decided in taking the animation out of play I would take the balcony of the clock and clean the wire that runs the woodcutters.

I did this and while I had it off I straightened the wire from the escapement that runs the woodcutter wire. I made it straight up when the pendulum is hanging straight down. I should mention that I did level the clock first.

I have let the clock run now for 2 days and it is doing fine without the animation.

Hopefully today I will put the animation back on the clock and try to adjust it to where it works correctly.

I should mention that while I had the balcony off the clock I leveled it and adjusted the wire from the woodcutters so that it hangs straight down and with any luck when I put it back on the clock it will be in the center of the wire loop from the escapement.

I will let you all know if I am successful or not.

John