• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Woerd's Patent What???

B

Barry G

I was shown a picture of a 14 size Waltham, Model #1874, that had the words "Woerd's Patent" engraved beneath the balance wheel. I'm assuming that this does NOT refer to the rare Woerd's Sawtooth Compensating Balance, but I don't know what other patent it could refer to.

Any ideas?

Barry

------------------
My Online Pocket Watch Collection

B

Barry G

I was shown a picture of a 14 size Waltham, Model #1874, that had the words "Woerd's Patent" engraved beneath the balance wheel. I'm assuming that this does NOT refer to the rare Woerd's Sawtooth Compensating Balance, but I don't know what other patent it could refer to.

Any ideas?

Barry

------------------

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Barry,

In Michael Harrold's book American Watchmaking, a Technical History, (p 88), he describes how (Vander) Woerd introduced improvements in the tempering of steel hairsprings. Could that be the patent you refer to?

Regards,
Doug S.

------------------

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The patent marked under the balance is the escapement patent. Vander Woerd patented a square roller jewel and claw shaped impulse slot in the fork. I am not at home, so I can't look up the claims for that configuration. It was his personal patent, not assigned to Waltham and he continued to use it, when he left for the U. S. Watch Co. of Waltham, on their "dome" model.

------------------
Tom McIntyre
Past President, NAWCC Chapter 174
Pocket Horology Web
Tommy the JOAT's Web

R

Rick White

Barry,It could be patent #101,398 "Mainspring Letdown Pawl" patent date March 29,1870

------------------
Rick White

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Far be it from me to claim authority with the Maven so near by, :biggrin: but you can take it to the bank that the marking is for the escapement as I said above.

Tom

------------------
Tom McIntyre
Past President, NAWCC Chapter 174
Pocket Horology Web
Tommy the JOAT's Web

B

Barry G

Thank you again, Tom. The person who sent me the picture was told by a jeweler that the watch originally had Woerd's famous "sawtooth" compensating balance [thereby making it a rare and valuable watch], but that the balance must have been replaced at some time [thereby reducing the value of the watch]. I told him that the GOOD news was that the balance likely wasn't replaced after all...

;)

Barry

------------------

[This message has been edited by Barry G (edited 02-27-2002).]

R

Rick White

What!!??, You don't think my obscure patent is the one being referred to. If the JOAT man says take it to the bank I wouldn't believe me either. LOL There is a picture of the Woerd's let down pawl patent watch in M&E's American Price Guide tho

------------------
Rick White

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org