• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Woerd?

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
I was just about to start a really boring thread about why I have some movements stamped Woerds patent and some stamped Woerds patents (plural) but then it occurred to me to wonder, how should I be pronouncing Woerd? I've been saying it like "Woe-erd" (2 syllables) but I guess Word, Verd, Woad, Ward, Waired, Weird, Wade, Wayered etc might all be possible...

NC Plumber

Jan 15, 2011
Country
There are several web sites that let you type in the word and you can hear how it is pronounced.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
There are several web sites that let you type in the word and you can hear how it is pronounced.
Woerd is a proper name, so pronunciation is not by formula. I think that most of us who collect his material pronounce it Vord.

Charles Van der Woerd was born in the Netherlands so he probab;y pronounced the w as though it were a v in English.

The literal translation is "from the drake" so I have always had trouble with the parsing of the name. It is often seen as Vander Woerd or all tun together as Vanderwoerd.

As to patent or patents, I do not recall seeing patent marked on the pillar plate where the normal form is Woerd's Patents. It refers to more than one of several patents on the escapement and winding mechanisms. It can colloquially be read as "I am in charge" since it appears on almost all watches made by the Nashua or 3/4 plate department while he was in charge. Here is an example.
MvtClose.jpg

The Woerd's Pat. usually is with Compensating Balance on the top plate for watches that were intended to have that feature. There are nominally 120 watches with that marking and only a handful that retain or ever had the feature. Here is an example of that marking on the open face watches (20 total).
Movement.jpg

I do not recall seeing the singular "patent" on any watch, but my memory could be faulty. Here is an example of the pillar plate mark on a gilt 1873 model.
woerdmark.jpg

Oops! Here is an example with the singular form. The additional text is patent dates.
MvtClose.jpg

You can look up all of Woerd's patents on the NAWCC-Info site.I think the two referenced in this image are 65064 and 67692.

Last edited:

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Was the mainspring let-down screw appearing on early Model 1872 movements one of Woerd's patents also?

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Yes it was. It first appeared in the 1870 model and a variation was used on some 1857 models.

There are some good pictures of its variants in the Bulletin article on the 1870 model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JBowers
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Private Label Watch by Kent