Wm Williams / London Verge tortoise shell case

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by jboger, Aug 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #1 jboger, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Here is a watch that set sail from England many years ago to make its fortune in the New World only to run aground somewhere off the coast of Cape Cod. Alas, it had a hard life, and found that making a living in post-colonial New England (specifically Massachusetts) in the early part of the 19th C was not as easy as advertised back in the mother land.

OK, ok, I embellish. But does sound like the start of a cheap paperback.

The retailer of this watch was Wm Williams of London. The case is base metal stamped for SH or possibly HS, those particular letters being symmetric. I bought it for the watch papers and the tortoise shell case, which is not in the greatest shape. Nor is the dial. Nor do the hands match--hence the hard life.

But it is complete, and I find it an interesting survivor of the sort of watch someone in New England of modest means might own.

I will put pictures of the watch papers in the next post.

DSCF2519.jpg DSCF2518.jpg DSCF2521.jpg DSCF2522.jpg DSCF2523.jpg DSCF2525.jpg

Keith R... likes this.
  2. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    And now for the watch papers, which I think are amongst the most interesting things about this particular watch. Here is a list of the watchmakers:

Wm. Beecher / Watchmaker & Jeweler / Southbridge, Mass
    D. Goddard / Watchmaker / Worcester
    Boyden & Fenno / Watchmakers & Jewelers / Worcester
    John B. Bigelow / Watchmaker / Framingham Ms

Some having handwriting on the back. One states "Mr. A. Wheelock / Worcester / Aug 1841

I will photograph the backs later. In the meantime, I hope people find this watch interesting.

DSCF2520.jpg DSCF2526.jpg DSCF2528.jpg DSCF2529.jpg DSCF2530.jpg DSCF2532.jpg

musicguy and Keith R... like this.
  3. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 Keith R..., Aug 3, 2019
    Interesting! This one 1796 and serviced recently.

edit.....This McCabe verge from 1805 close to your Tompion disk range.

Keith R...

van (600x800).jpg 100_3886 (1024x768).jpg van6 (600x800).jpg 100_5139 (1600x1200).jpg

musicguy likes this.
  4. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #4 jboger, Aug 3, 2019
    Keith: Your McCabe watch is of much better quality than mine--and in much better condition.

In all the years I've had this watch I don't recall that I ever took a look at the backs of the watch papers. It is the Daniel Goddard paper that is signed for August 1841. The Bigelow paper is also marked on the back. Not sure, but it seems to be: 131 / Mr. Wheelock / B - 8 - B / 1 50

I'm not sure about the second "B". And the 1 50 should have the 50 raised something like superscript. I suspect Mr Wheelock was charged a buck fifty for the repair work. That would have been about a week's pay in the 1840s.

I searched Find-a-Grave for A. Wheelock in Mass. There are many A. Wheelocks. It would seem they took the Lord's command to go forth and multiply quite seriously. They seemed to be centered on Worcester County. I'm afraid without more information we won't be able to unlock this wheel.

Keith R... likes this.
  5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think this is tortoiseshell but painted horn.

6. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It might be worth putting the watch papers on the American Watch forum
    The people there will be able to tell you more about the watchmakers concerned

7. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #7 jboger, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Hmmm . . . probably not tortoise shell. I believe you are right. I would like to change the title of this thread if only to not so blatantly advertise my ignorance.

I created a new thread just a few minutes ago, the subject of which is US watch papers. Here is the link: An Inventory of Mostly Pre-US Civil War American Watch Papers

8. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Meant to put this here:

The Goodard watch paper is inscribed for Mr. A. Wheelock, August 1841. The other one is on the back of the Bigelow paper.

DSCF2533.jpg DSCF2534.jpg DSCF2535.jpg

9. LloydB

LloydB Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    La Crosse, Wisconsin's West Coast
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The 1840 US Census records gave
    4 'fair to middlin' hits, (based on age,
    other factors) If you care to dig further:

Abner (Charlton)
    Abraham (Shrewsbury)
    (your 'Wm Beecher' paper; Beecher
    has his own interesting history)
    Adam (Mendon)
    Andrus (Mendon)

Abraham would be my nickel wager.

Keith R... likes this.
  10. Lychnobius

Lychnobius Registered User

Aug 5, 2015
    Semi-retired designer & printer
    Redruth, Cornwall, UK
    Country Flag:
    Could 'D. Goddard' be Daniel Goddard, one of the two sons of Luther Goddard of Worcester, Massachusetts, who is sometimes described as the earliest American watchmaker (as opposed to watch-importer) whose work survives?* There seems to be some doubt as to whether Luther actually made movements from scratch (this being more than almost any British 'maker' would do at the time), but it does appear that there is some genuinely local work in both his and his sons' watches.

*Thomas Harland of Norwich, Connecticut, was advertising watches of his own make in the 1780s, but I understand no examples are known to exist.

Oliver Mundy.

Keith R... likes this.
  11. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes, I believe it is Daniel Goddard, son of Luther Goddard.