Wm. L Gilbert "Lebanon"

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by CameraGuy32, Jul 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CameraGuy32

CameraGuy32 Registered User

Apr 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I received a Wm L Gilbert clock yesterday for repair. It was gifted to the present owner from his grandmother's estate. The family said that the clock hadn't run for at least the last 40 years or so. It was clearly rebushed in the past, but there was almost no wear at all. The last date scratched into the case was 1973. After initially cleaning all the gunk from the pivots, I realized that it was way out of beat, as I had to raise one side of the case nearly 1/4" for it to run. Now it has been cleaned, oiled, and adjusted and had been running just fine for the last 48 hours.
    A couple of questions for you Gilbert experts out there. This is the coolest pendulum that I have ever seen. When you turn the rating nut, the dial moves on the pendulum. It looks like someone tried to adjust this one by turning the pointer, and broke the end off.
    What to the numbers on the pendulum dial represent? It reads from 0 to 100 around the dial.
    Judging by the label, I'm guessing this clock is from 1874 - 1875. It this a correct assessment?
    Steve

GL001.JPG GL002.JPG GL003.JPG GL004.JPG GL005.JPG GL006.JPG GL007.JPG GL008.JPG

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I would place the date of the clock several years later. Tran Duy Ly's book on Gilbert clocks shows the Lebanon from the 1885 catalogue, though it may have also been offered a few years before and after. The pendulum was patented in October 1883, so, if original to the clock, that suggests the clock was made no earlier than late 1883. Your clock, BTW, seems to be missing the drop finials on either side of the dial, unless they were purposely removed for some reason.

Many clock companies used a similar style of pendulum, and I have always wondered what the numbers represent specifically. The patent on the Gilbert pendulum mentions them but offers no explanation.
    US287604 Clock Pendulum.pdf

Attached Files:

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe the numbers only give you a reference. Say the indicator points at 25 and the clock runs slow. You move the bob so that the indicator shows 50. Now the clock runs fast. You know now that the correct setting will be somewhere between 25 and 50. By iteration of the process you will finally find the best setting.

Uhralt

4. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    The Lebanon was the second clock that I had purchased, got it at the Portland Oregon Regional in the late 80's. It still runs like a champ and keeps great time. Mine was also missing the drop finials but methinks like the others they were either broken or lost.
    Bruce

e6c38d1244404e86f9c5da44c76a5db4.jpg

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Many jewelers have a fuse welder. This is often called a spot welder. It should be rather straightforward to pry off the old hand, fashon a new pointer and have it spot welded to the front top surface of the hub area. A small 'bobbie pin' (ladies hair pin) will have the right temper and thickness but you may have to make it narrower to match the opposite side. Take some extra pieces of the 'bobbie pin' stock with you to the jeweler, so they can dial in the machine.

BTW, this is mainly a selling feature and really adds nothing to the functionality of the clock.

WIllie X

6. CameraGuy32

Apr 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you, Steven.
    Yes, those finials are missing. The one on the left was clearly broken off, so I'm guessing they removed the one on the right to make it look right.

7. CameraGuy32

Apr 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I believe that you are correct. This bob is very sensitive. I'm used to turning the rating nit, and the time will change around 2 minutes per day per turn.
    One turn on this will gain about 5 min per 12 hours. Now I'm just moving it just a tiny bit, and it's getting dialed in nicely.