American Wm. L. Gilbert clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Deboree, Aug 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Deboree

Deboree New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Can anyone help me identify this clock? The label shows Wm. L. Gilbert, but I'm not sure of the type of clock it is, ie., mantel, desktop, etc. It also has a number on the tag, but when I google it nothing comes up. I also tried the Code "pacific" with no luck.

I have attached two pictures to this post. One is the clock face and one is the label on the bottom.

I can see a date near where the pendulum is attached at the top. It reads APRIL 28, 1898.

This clock belonged to my Grandmother's brother, and I believe it belonged to their parents.

Clock.jpg Clock bottom.jpg Thank you in advance for any information!

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #2 Willie X, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    It's a small mantel clock. It may have started out painted black ... a 'black mantel'. Willie X

Deboree likes this.
  3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Gilbert often assigned both numbers and names to clocks. This one would appear to be No. 2138B, also called the Pacific. However, my reference, Tran Duy Ly's book on Gilbert clocks made no mention of this model. That happens often enough. Since the number is 2138B, that might that it is one of a series, e.g., 2138A, 2138C, etc.

There may be a year date on the movement, on either the front or back plate. If there, it would give a date for the movement and an approximate date for the clock. We already know that the date could not be earlier than the April 28, 1898, patent date.

The general style is "cabinet clock," I would say, but the term mantel clock is often a catch-all for clocks that might be put in various other places, as well, such as a table, shelf, or desk. I, myself, doubt that this clock was ever black.

Arthur Cagle likes this.
  4. Deboree

Deboree New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION, I APPRECIATE IT!

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Looking at the bottom board, if it was stripped, the bottom board was removed and put back. Stripping is usually evidenced by a blurred finish around the edges of the bottom board and back board.

The finish does look old, so I would tend to agree with Steven but that bottom board does look suspiciously clean with new nails?

WIllie X