• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Wm Gilbert Dove - Chimes gone wild

Fredinaz

May 24, 2020
Country
With help from forum members, I managed to get a Wm Gilbert Dove I inherited working again without too much effort - until I rewound it. That's when the chimes went wild.

First, they started chiming a warp speed. After a few days, most have dropped to normal speed but I'm still hearing some clang very rapidly.

When the minute hand was pointed at half-past the hour the chimes were now chiming the hour and vice versa. The hours were all off. It was as if something skipped inside. Could I have overwound the chime spring?

I reset the hands to match the chimes but now I'm scared to wind it again. Is there something I should look for in the movement that would cause this?

Thanks for your help! Fred

Last edited:

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
If it is striking very fast, the fly is probably slipping on it’s arbor. If it is not stoping, an adjustment needs to be made on the count wheel lever. Post photos and/or a video and we can help easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lpgp
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent