Wm G. Earl

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Craigb, Feb 1, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Craigb

Craigb Guest

I have a pocket watch with the name "Wm G. Earl" on the face with "Philadelphia" underneath. Does anyone have any information on this maker?

2. Craigb

Craigb Guest

I have a pocket watch with the name "Wm G. Earl" on the face with "Philadelphia" underneath. Does anyone have any information on this maker?

3. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Registered User

Nov 29, 2000
    Manager of Engineering Programs
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Craig, we would need a bit more information to be able to help you. A picture of the movement would be the most useful piece of information you could provide. Quite possibly, simply looking at the movement will answer your question directly (if the maker's name is on the movement).

Regards,

- Greg

4. Craigb

Craigb Guest

Thanks for your help, Greg. I will get those together this weekend and send the photos to you.

5. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
    I have seen a few high-grade watches made by the Illinois Watch Co. that were marked for this individual ... but as Greg wrote a photo will be the easiest way to a sure identification.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Fred

6. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Craig, sounds good. I'll post them here for everyone to see once I get them.

Regards,

- Greg

7. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Here as a Bunn Special I dug up from the archives which is marked for Mr. Earle.

63.jpg

8. Craigb

Craigb Guest

Thanks, John. The name on the face of the watch is exactly the same as mine, but there is no name on the movement, only the serial number, the number of jewels and adjusted. The movement is also different from the one you posted. My pictures will be up by the weekend. Thanks for your help.

9. Greg Davis

Nov 29, 2000
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are Craig/s pictures...

64.jpg

65.jpg

- Greg

10. John F

John F Registered User

Sep 28, 2001
    As Fred surmised, it's an Illinois. A 17 jewel grade 185, from about 1900. Nice watch!

11. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Craig,

I don't think anyone has explained the term "private label" to you. For a small or even no fee you could have anything you wanted printed on the dial and/or movement. Jewelers often had their own names and towns printed on the dial and movement. Your watch was made by one of the big four American watch companies called Illinois Watch Co. in Sprinfield, Il. It is what we often call a three finger bridge Getty model. It is a hunter movment in a hunter case. This means it winds at 3:00 o'clock and the case has a front cover. Illinois is well known as producing middle and high grade watches of high quality and beauty.

If you are going to run and wear it, have it properly overhauled and cleaned by someone who is qualified to work on old watches. This is someone who will take apart all moving pars, clean, inspect, repair, assemble and adjust the movement. Enjoy it.

Don Dahlberg
    NAWCC Volunteer

12. Craigb

Craigb Guest

Thanks to everyone who supplied me with very usefull information. Don was right, I didn't know what a "private label" was. I always thought Wm G. Earle was a manufacturer. Fred and John pointed me towards the Illinois Watch Company and Carter Harris from the NAWCC museum suggested Mr. Earle was a jeweler. Sure enough, in a copy of the 1890 Philadelphia Business Directory, is a listing for "EARLE WILLIAM G. DIAMONDS, WATCHES & JEWELRY, 13 N 9th" The serial number seems to indicate that it was made in 1902. Thanks again to everyone who posted comments. All of you provided useful information.

13. Dave Chaplain

Dave Chaplain Registered User
    NAWCC Member

I've a couple Model 2 18 size Seth Thomas watches signed Earle Philadelphia as well, with sn's in the 90,xxx range.