Wm. Clement Tall Case

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Duane Deppen, Nov 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Duane Deppen

Duane Deppen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2018
    #1 Duane Deppen, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    I went to a local auction a few years ago to look for clocks. (Isn't that all they sell at auctions?) There were two tall case clocks tucked into a corner. One with a painted dial (or should I say repainted), and one with a brass dial. Engraved on the brass I read, "Wm. Clement, Totness Fecit" in Old English script. I didn't know where Totness was, but I knew the name William Clement. I could tell by the face and spandrals that it was very old. The hands were a bit long, but old as well. I opened the door and saw a single Huygens loop chain. Really,..... Maybe? I felt the classic, "Don't look too interested" feeling, so I looked at other things.

Well, after a long few hours, I was bidding against one other person. I could tell no one there was interested in clocks specifically. $50, $60, $70,...you know the drill. I was prepared to go much higher. The guy stopped at $140. I had this, "I Hit The Lottery Moment." Did I just get an original clock made by the guy who invented the anchor escapement for 150 bucks, went through my head.

Well, after a little TLC, the clock sits (and runs) proudly in the entrance hall to my riverfront Victorian home. My house is a Delaware River beauty that was once the home of General E. Burd Grubb (of Grubb Furnace, Lancaster Fame) and Violet Sopwith (of Sopwith Camel Fame). Is my new clock worthy?

It sits at a mere 75" tall in a simple oak case, but boast the name of a horological legend. My limited research told me that they used to put 30 movements in shorter oak cases to appeal to the village people with lower ceilings. Can someone help me finish it's story, (whether happy or sad)?
    Thanks for any help.

DSC09643.JPG DSC09641.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG DSC09653.JPG DSC09664.JPG DSC09647.JPG DSC09661.JPG

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    William Clement, not the William Clement I'm afraid, was working in totnes in 1700, and died in 1736. He was an important chap in the town and was Mayor at some point. He features in Loomes makers 1286-1700 as well as the devon clockmakers book.

Your clock was once a single hander, and I don't think that movement is original to the dial.

3. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 novicetimekeeper, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    If you have the front of the movement square on, and the back of the dial,we might find more, but the movement doesn't have the style of the dial in terms of age.

4. Duane Deppen

Duane Deppen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2018
    I posted 2 more pictures. Thank you for the information.

5. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So you did, and initially I thought they raised more questions than they answered.

However I think we can see three dial mounting points relating to the original movement which I think was posted frame. The dial feet would likely have been tabs with pins through the horizontal movement plates.

Then we see three new dial feet for the later movement and an enlarged centre hole to allow for the new hour and minute.

We also see a second set of holes for the spandrels, so it looks like they might not be original to the dial plate.

Some changes with regard to the fixing of the chapter ring too, perhaps just a broken foot. Have you had the chapter ring off and looked there?

6. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    sorry if this isn't going the way you wanted. It all looks good though, nobody did a bad job.

7. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I hesitate to say this, but you did say happy or sad, The dialplate looks too small for the hood. Can we see the dialmask with the door open? What size is the dialplate, 10"? The case looks like it was made for a larger dial. It is a lovely colour, and as I said before the overall package is pleasing.

8. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 jmclaugh, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Shame it isn't 'the' William Clement but still it's a nice longcase for a good price.

It is believed William Stumbels a renowned provincial maker in Totnes was believed to have been apprenticed to Clement of Totnes.

9. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There was a William Clement single hander movement and dial sold at Gardiner Houlgate a couple of years ago. That was a posted frame movement though I think it might have been by his son it was at least the right family. It sold for £1000

10. MQ32shooter

MQ32shooter Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Male
    Garland, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a nice clock Duane. Just enjoy it for what it is. It will show nicely in your entrance hall.