• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Wlatham 16s Vanguard has me Crazy

Tim Fitzgerald

NAWCC Member
Jan 2, 2016
Oak island North Carolina
timothyfitzgerald.net
Country
Region
When I disassemble a pocket watch for cleaning that is a new model for me, I take pictures that I can use for reference & to be sure everything goes back together the way it came out. I somehow deleted them.
I have a Waltham 16s 23j Vanguard model 1908 made in 1942.That I just cleaned & replaced the main spring.I have it all back together except for the winding mechanism. The shipper & springs have me confused there doesn't appear to be a check spring. Does it not have a check spring? Can anyone send a photo of how it is assembled and the spring placement?
Thanks

Bila

NAWCC Member
Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Here is one identical to yours Tim, a very dirty basket case but the shipper is a pretty easy set-up, note this one has a broken spring but it is all there.

WP_20180905_10_05_03_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20180905_10_05_18_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20180905_10_05_24_Pro_LI.jpg

Bila

NAWCC Member
Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Did you get it done mate, here is the procedure below;

You should have the setting lever & retaining screw, shipper, shipper spring, shipper cap & it's retaining screw.

Put the lever in place and retain with screw, carefully roll the dial plate over, then fit the shipper on to it's pivot pin that is part of the dial plate with the "C" shape end around/against the lever actuating pin. The round end (hole end) of the shipper spring attaches to the part of the setting lever (actuating pin as well) that protrudes through the dial plate.

The other end of the shipper spring then locks into the small "V" area on the bottom side of the shipper. When locking the spring in to the "V" be careful, as the spring can go flying. After fitting the shipper spring then place the cap over and then fit retainer screw, all done:)

Last edited:
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mptha59
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions