Wittnauer wrist watch dating

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by jacksilver, Jan 15, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jacksilver

jacksilver Registered User

Jan 15, 2013
    retired
    Tallahassee, FL
    Country Flag:
    I am trying to date a men's Wittnauer wrist watch. There is no serial number on the movement, only on the case back (inside). The number is #692927. Can't find anything on Google for Wittnauer serial numbers. The dial is marked "Wittnauer" as is the movement. Since Longines bought out Wittnauer in 1936 I'm guessing that this is pre-1936. The movement is 17 jewel and the rectangular case is 10K gold filled. Any thoughts?

2. Cary Hurt

Cary Hurt Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the NAWCC message board. Wittnauer is one of the less well understood brands, and dating their watches is sometimes complicated.

It is possible that your watch is pre-1936, but I kind of doubt it. Longines didn't buy Wittnauer. Wittnauer had been their exclusive agent since 1880, and in 1936, the Wittnauer family sold their interest in the company, creating the Longines-Wittnauer Co., which would stay in business until 1994. Wittnauer is currently owned by Bulova, and Longines by SMH (Swatch).

The point is that Wittnauer labeled watches have been with us for that entire period, and relatively few were sold under the Wittnauer name while they were active as an importer, so the likelihood is that your watch will date to the post-WW2 era.

Photos of the watch and movement, as well as the stampings in the caseback, may allow us to offer a more precise date.

3. jacksilver

jacksilver Registered User

Jan 15, 2013
    retired
    Tallahassee, FL
    Country Flag:
    Cary,
    Here are a couple of photos that might help. I appreciate the response to my question. Wittnauer inside back.jpg wittnauer movement.jpg

4. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Hi and welcome to add to Cary
    Thanks the pictures
    AXA is the Swiss import mark for Wittnauer.
    Movements is not Longines, bur Swiss and prior to 1940 = my feeling

Lets see what Cary says?4

adam

5. Cary Hurt

Cary Hurt Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I never expect to see a Longines movement in a Wittnauer watch. Wittnauer was the importer for Longines (along with several other fine makers, including Vacheron Constantin and Jaeger-LeCoultre) and went to great lengths to maintain seperate identities for their watches. The hyphenated company name has lead to a lot of misunderstandings over the years.

As is quite commonly the case with Wittnauer, this movement is a product of Thommen-Revue, specifically a Thommen 73. As it lacks shock protection for the balance, I would say 1940s, but not much later. The styling of the watch and the fact that it is 10 karat gold-filled (as opposed to 14 KGF) lead me to believe it's a bit later than the 1930s.

6. watchmydiy

watchmydiy Registered User

Feb 3, 2014
    #6 watchmydiy, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    Hi, I'm new to this site and naive to watches, their internals in particular. I recently bought some movements, tons of questions came up leading me here. Many letters inscribed on movements are obvious in meanings but some not. I can see some with these letters, e.g. OXG, or AYP. What they mean? Do they likewise stand for "importers' marks"? Your input will oblige.

ps 1: I thought I learnt and managed to understand some thing from this thread, but after I finished reading all postings, I am back to the dark. My movement on hand with APY stemped on is a VC. It has the name of manufacturer (except the logo as I can see some VC movements don't have cross logo too), the calibre 1003/1 and serial number on. Even the old dial bears the VC name and logo. So, was my movement made by Audemars Piguet or VC made for AP ? I am really confused.

I read from other forums that VC made the first most slim movement right after JLC invented something that is associated to this caliber, so VC in those days, supposedly made its own movements. Please enlighten me with plain language (I really know nothing about watches in depth).

ps 2: I read from other thread, there seem to be a chart of manufacturing dates for Vacheron Constantin. Can anyone show me its link?

Cheers,

7. Babylon Pawn

Babylon Pawn New Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I have Identical Watch with Earlier Serial#3234836, 17 jewels in Working Condition. wonder what year of production? IMG_20000122_233513.jpg IMG_20000122_233536.jpg IMG_20000122_233557.jpg IMG_20000122_233623.jpg IMG_20000122_233746.jpg

8. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    #8 JTD, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Babylon

Perhaps

9. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I wonder if it might be better to start a new thread. This one ended 2 years ago.

JTD

10. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Hi
    I would carry on this thread, its packed with great info from the likes of Cary and deserves a revival
    A

11. Babylon Pawn

Babylon Pawn New Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Country Flag:
    the reason, this one is exactly identical to one in the photo of 3 years back to compare, on this the serial# appears to be the earlier production. Please give your expertise on it. IMG_20000118_224352.jpg IMG_20000122_233557.jpg IMG_20000122_233746.jpg thanks JTD.

12. tprince1

tprince1 New Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I have a Longines-Wittnauer that was given to me by my step-father, it belonged to his dad.
    I really like the watch and do wear it occasionally, even, though I have been asked if it is a ladies watch since it is small compared to what you buy today. :)
    Longines has given me the ship date for the movement (~1956).
    My question is does anyone have more information? Or can push me in the right direction for maybe a model name?
    Also, would like info on the band that would have been included.
    My stepfather put a lizard band on it. I'm am just ignorant as to that being the style that would have been included.
    thanks in advance for any info. and please forgive me if I should be in a different thread.
    IMG_0912[1].jpg IMG_0911[1].jpg IMG_0910[1].jpg IMG_0909[1].jpg

13. gatorcpa

gatorcpa Registered User

May 7, 2007
    Hmmm...

The serial number (6.2 million) would put the movement at 1941 (not 1956) per this site.

http://www.vintagewatchresources.com/year_identifier.php

I'm curious what number did you give Longines? If it was the case number (9.7 million), that's meaningless, as these gold-filled watch cases were made by contractors in the USA after the movements were imported. The records on these were destroyed years ago. Longines has no access to them either.

The dial was repainted at some point with incorrect fonts. Very common for watchmakers to do that when routine service was needed back in the 1950's.

It is a man's watch for sure. The lizard band is appropriate for the time period. Better models (i.e. solid gold) might have had an alligator band, so this is close enough.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

14. tprince1

tprince1 New Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hi gatorcpa
    Thanks so much for the info. I goofed and did give Longines the case number.
    I do have another question. The crystal seems to be a plastic type material.
    Would that have been what was used? Or would you feel like it is a replacement?

Looking over the link you supplied I think it is a Pearson.
    http://www.vintagewatchresources.com/detail.php?watch_id=90

Again I do appreciate you taking time to educate me.

15. Bill Hicox

Bill Hicox Registered User

Jan 31, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hello, I've got an old women's wrist watch. Wittnauer serial number W09491. 17 jewel. It's a nice one. 14 KT gold. The serial number is on the case. Wittnauer Watch Co. Inc., AXA, 5JH, unadjusted, seventeen jewel, swiss are all on the movement. Still works. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Just wondering when it was manufactured. Thanks.