WITTNAUER ELECTRONIC TRANSISTORIZED

knight.six

Jun 30, 2016
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Country
Region
Just came into a Wittnauer electronic/transistorized wrist watch: ESA Dynatron movement cal. 9154 - produced from 1968 to 1970. After 1970 the caliber was 9157 - 9158. My guess is about 1969 for mine. No battery, but after research I'm using an Energizer 344 Low Drain Silver Oxide (replaces all SR1136SW). However, the 344 puts out 1.55v and my info says the Cal. 9154 should be 1.35v. There's no "1.35v" left out there than I can find - but others seem to have good performance with the 344. The dial has been slightly rotated to the right on this, and for the life of me I can't figure out how that could have happened - hence my need to remove the stem/crown and get the movement out to see how the dial was able to rotate at all.

Q: How is the stem/crown removed from this watch? No obvious "push" or lever that I can see and NO info anywhere - can't find a tech. manual.

05.19.2021 Wittnauer 1.jpg

Reactions: aucaj

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
344 is the correct battery, the higher voltage doesn't matter at all.

These have an odd stem. To get the stem out, you have to loosen or remove the screws on that sliding bit near where it says THIRTEEN so you can lift the sliding bit. Be very careful when you tighten them again, because they are shouldered and if they are not properly in their slots you will break them off.

Reactions: viclip

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Did the watch start running when you put the battery in? I'm curious because I have one or two of these that are very stubborn that way. And they can also be stopped when screws get swept under the balance the magnetic forces thereon.

If you don't have the tech manual you'll want to get one.

Good luck. They're neat watches, if not a bit temperamental.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravens Watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit