Withte pair case pocket watch

jjea

Mar 17, 2009
Hieverybody,
This is myfirst time in this section and I want to share with you my last acquisition. Itis a pair case English pocket watch, I would want to know all that I can but Ido not identify the hallmarks except by the lion. It also have a note insidethe silver case, I suppose is written in German but really don’t know.
Best wishes

Javier

Attachments

Tom Huber

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2000
Indiana PA
Country
Region
I'm able to translate most German, but am having difficulty reading the hand writing on the paper. The paper is a 20th century paper as there is a telephone number 2541 on it. It is not a jeweler's watchpaper, but is from V. Geissler's pharmacie. The town is Rotthausen. The address is 42 Kaiser street at the corner of Hilgenboom street.

Loosely translated says-- pocketwatch c-1820. It is the onion (meaning a big watch) of Heinir Evers who is the grandfather of Anya Geissler. I am unable to decipher the last two words to translate them.

My guess is that V. Geissler was a relative of Anya Geissler and he put the paper into the watch to show the family relationship.

Tom

jjea

Mar 17, 2009
Thank you Tom, I thought that it was a jeweler´s watchpaper!!! The history of watches is always interesting (at least) I don't know how this "onion" came to Mexico and stay until now. javier

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Javier,

I think that these marks are intended to look like English hallmarks, but they aren't. I'm sure we've seen the poor attempt at a lion passant and the monarch's head before, and the "U" is presumably meant to be a date letter, but in completely the wrong style for any UK assay office. They're even in the correct layout of a cross. For some more information about genuine case hallmarks, this is a good site.

The movement appears to be a verge fusee of around 1800 in the English style, and I can't find any reference to this maker, but others here may be able to expand on this. The decoration under the name on the dial, and its position under the centre make me wonder about the signature.

Regards,

Graham

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
They're definitely fake hallmarks, intended to deceive. I can't make out the signature on the movement, but "Withte" isn't an English name. Since the case is faked it's almost certain that this is a continental European watch (maybe Dutch?) and so the name on the movement is just about certain to have been faked. The "hallmarks" are very poor copies so it is equally likely that the faker has misread an English signature - maybe White or Withy .....

By the way Javier (and others) this forum is designed strictly for displaying your new acquisitions but not for getting information about a watch. The reason for this is that this New Acquisitions forum gets far fewer visitors than the other "main" forums. In this case I suspect your watch would have been seen by more people in the European Watches forum, and possibly have received more replies. I won't move this thread now because it does have replies, but I recommend everyone seeking information on a watch to post it to one of the other three forums.

jjea

Mar 17, 2009
Thank you Marty. I will follow your advice in the future. Javier

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Karl,

Yes, it is a similar counterfeit watch, intended to deceive the unwary into believing it to be English.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justincasejustintime
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller