Wiring diagram for neon clocks needed

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Chris, Nov 8, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris

Chris Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Nov 4, 2001
    Clock and phonograph repair
    Ellsworth, Maine
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok, I've done several before, but, for the life of me, I can't remember how to connect the cord / transformer/ clock / neon tube together in an electric neon clock.

This one was tampered with, so everything was disconnected. The transformer has 4 wires on it, the clock has two, the cord will have 2, and the tube will have 2 ends.

Can anyone post up a diagram for a single tube neon clock with a Synchron motor? Thanks!

2. davefr

davefr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Semi Retired Engr. Mgr - Currently Rebuilding Tele
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 davefr, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    Line 1 goes to neon transformer input, Line 1 also goes to clock motor.

Line 2 goes to neon transformer input, Line 2 also goes to clock motor.

Output 1 from neon transformer goes to neon tube.

Output 2 from neon transformer goes to neon tube.

(ie clock motor and transformer input are wired in parallel)

(In case it's not labeled, Neon transformer input is low resistance, neon transformer output is higher resistance.)

Polarity to and from transformer doesn't matter.

I'd suggest you use THHN (outdoor rated machine tool grade) wire and a 3 wire line cord with ground (green) attached to the metal frame of the clock. It's also a good idea to use a GFI protected circuit. Make sure all your wiring is secured with strain relief.

You can also add a switch from line to transformer to turn on just the neon. You should switch hot (not neutral). I'd also consider adding an inline fuse to the circuit.

Hope this helps.

3. shwines

shwines New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Dave-
    I have never seen one with an inline fuse added. Any more info on how to properly do this?

4. davefr

davefr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Semi Retired Engr. Mgr - Currently Rebuilding Tele
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    These old electric clocks were never designed to modern safety standards. However they can certainly be made safer.

Here's an example of what you could use. A fuse should be on the hot lead right inside the case. (value of fuse would depend on running current of the clock - maybe 1.5-2X fast blow). Using a 3 wire cord (vs unpolarized 2 wire) allows you to know which lead is hot and also allows you to ground the metal case.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqgs0fFXuNSFSlFAf5xpZT5258fuJh6zYd9_nBpvgN4NlbRSoR

5. shwines

shwines New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks very much Dave.