Winterhalder & Hofmeyer ting-tang

G

Grunter

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here so please be patient!

As the name suggests I have a W & H Ting-Tang (Chimes once on the 1st 1/4 twice on the half and three time on the 3rd) on my desk at the moment. The problem is that there were some modifcations done to it that the maker did not intend!and one piece is missing. So I have to make a new rack hook. Does anyone have a photo of the dial side of this movement that I can use as a patten?

Cheers

stewart

Aug 25, 2004
Hello Grunter

I don't know if it will help but I have a picture of a W&H posted in this section.

old ref::http://nawcc-mb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5746044581/m/6781085282

Stewart

G

Grunter

Hello Stewart,
thank you for replying :):),

Unfortunately the movement pictured is not the one :frown:

I have turned a boss and filed the square for it to fit on the shaft, I have also cut a rack hook out of brass but as I was going on a hand drawing, of course it does not work. The rack may have been played with as well, so I may have two unknown values!!
I will need to get my rack hook correct before I can work on the rack.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hi Grunter
A picture is essential.
It should be possible to make a rack that works even if you do not know what the original looked like; it is a matter of finding the dimensions on the actual clock.

I would say that you need to make the rack before the rack hook.

G

Grunter

I have the rack but it MAY have been modified juging by the marks on it. What I need is a photo of the rack hook (second down on the left)You will see the one I have made but it does not work 100% 48.jpg

Sooth

NAWCC Member
Feb 19, 2005
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
www.angelfire.com
Country
Region
I can help!

But beware, the rack must be very precise. Even a HAIR error will cause erratic striking.

It took me DAYS and days to adjust the rack, which had gotten bent.

It may not be the exact same model, but it's almost the same...

WH-01.gif

WH-02.gif

WH-03.gif

This movement is not currently in use. I could take a rubbing of the rack if you like, and mail it to you.

G

Grunter

Originally posted by Sooth:
PS, these photos were taken BEFORE I repaired/fixed the rack, and before I cleaned the movement.

I may also have a few other WH movement photos, but they're on a backup CD somewhere. Let me know if you want those, and I could e-mail them.
Hello Sooth,
Thanks for the offer. I will glady accept any photo's I can get. The photo's that would benifit me the most ould be ones taken directly face on to the movement.

As i said in a previous post or email on this clock. I have two variables. If i can get a templete of one, (the rack hook) then I can correct the other.

I think working on the rack hook first then the rack will be the best line to tackle this problem!

By all means, take a rubbing of the rack hook and send it to me

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Grunter
Useful pics! Reason I asked is that some of these clocks are based on an English rack strike - this one is the French sort.

Sooth's pictures should get you on the road; the corner of your rack hook has been filed or sawn off; I would be inclined to just hard-solder a piece on and file and polish it first.
The gathering pallet will be a bit more difficult.
You will need to make the rack so the tail drops aligned with the centre arbor and where the teeth will be about 3mm from the centre of the GP arbor. I can make you a drawing if you want.
Mark the teeth by using the rack hook and snail. As you need 15 teeth, extrapolate the extra three at the top.
HTH

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Wow Steve - that rack has seen some use :)

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
One thing I did not mention was that you need to start by making all the teeth the same, and then starting with the first one, turn the hands to about 13 minutes past the hour and shorten the tooth by scribing on the rack hook, so the tooth just drops.
Repeat for the next two teeth and at 28 and 43 minutes.

G

Grunter

Thanks Guys for the help!!

Sorry about the delay I have been away. Pity nobody has done my work for me......oh well, back to the grind!

Thanks for the photos!! I will use them for my templetes :biggrin: :biggrin:.

I do have the rack, but it may have been tampered with as well! So the photos are VERY welcome indeed

Thanks once again

Gunter

G

Grunter

Originally posted by Mike Phelan:
Grunter
Useful pics! Reason I asked is that some of these clocks are based on an English rack strike - this one is the French sort.

Sooth's pictures should get you on the road; the corner of your rack hook has been filed or sawn off; I would be inclined to just hard-solder a piece on and file and polish it first.
The gathering pallet will be a bit more difficult.
You will need to make the rack so the tail drops aligned with the centre arbor and where the teeth will be about 3mm from the centre of the GP arbor. I can make you a drawing if you want.
Mark the teeth by using the rack hook and snail. As you need 15 teeth, extrapolate the extra three at the top.
HTH
thanks for the offer Mike, I will try first with what i have. I knew the rack hook was not correct, it was one that I made just from a line drawing.

I will let you know if I need a drawing.

As for the gathering pallet. it is on the movement and untouched thank God.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akrampe64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff