Winterhalder and Hofmeier mantle - strange winding holes

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by isgus, May 18, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. isgus

isgus Registered User
    Donor

May 26, 2015
    I just won this in an auction. The markings show it as a Winterhalder and Hofmeier. But I was intrigued by the winding holes. I have never seen anything like this. I don't pick it up until the weekend so cant get anymore pictures of it until then. Opinions please and thanks.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 3, 2016
    Looks like a time and alarm? Will be fun to see which is which.

3. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes, it's a time and alarm. I have a couple similar. Including one with a wood plate movement (30 Hour).

Yours looks good, because it has the original pendulum (missing frequently), and stop works. I bet yours has a 3-5 day running time.

Attached Files: Download all post attachments

4. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    I also have one of these clocks in my collection. I am amazed at the number I see for sale on the internet auction site. And so many variations .It had to have been a good seller keeping the factory very busy.

5. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    You are correct, senhalls. A lot of variations. Here are some more, I believe them all to be W+H:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?69275-Collect-em-all!!!!&highlight=collect+em+all

I believe they were made at different small factories, all under the conglomerate of Winterhalder + Hofmeier.

I suppose I was destined to collect this type of clock, having been fascinated since I started collecting clocks. Still, not many of these 19th century W+H examples on this side of the Atlantic.