Watch Help Winding stem and button for New York Standard 7j 12s

Discussion in 'Parts Wanted' started by Elliott Wolin, Jan 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Elliott Wolin

Elliott Wolin Registered User

Nov 18, 2019
    Male
    Retired
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Button and stem broke off, no luck so far finding another. Watch won't run without it as it is needed to keep the minute wheel disengaged from the keyless works wheels (if I understand correctly, this is my first watch, and it stops running soon after I install the cannon pinion and minute wheel).

Upper one in picture was close, but a few thousandth's off and just slips through the collet.

20200111_135741[1].jpg 20200111_141802[1].jpg 20200111_141821[1].jpg

2. Elliott Wolin

Nov 18, 2019
    Male
    Retired
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Oops, forgot the case photo 20200111_145549[1].jpg

3. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If I am understanding your inquiry you need a stem? The threaded end has broken off in the crown/
    Is that correct?
    These are case parts and have to be replaced by hunt & peck, comparing the old one to a selection of or assortment of stems. If you want me to find a replacement for it send me a Private conservation by clicking on my avatar.
    The picture also shows you are missing the cannon pinon and hour gear.

4. Elliott Wolin

Nov 18, 2019
    Male
    Retired
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I'm looking for the stem and crown, the threaded portion of the stem and the crown broke off and are long gone. This watch is actually an inexpensive eBay purchase I got to practice on. It's the first watch I've ever worked on so if I break anything or can't fix it, I won't be too disappointed. But I did manage to get it working (miracle of miracles)!

It's possible the crown on the upper stem that won't fit might fit a new stem. And the hour wheel and cannon pinion are sitting in a tray not shown.

I gather from Jim H that stems and crowns are not particularly standardized. In that case I'll check with an acquaintance who has a stash of watch parts before I pursue getting a new stem here.

And thanks, Jim, for the offer!