German Winding Arbor Offset

Ron Roberts

NAWCC Member
May 14, 2019
What is the reason for this type of winding arbor design?

IMG_0687.jpg

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
That is a bit odd. Could this be from a ST Westminster? It looks like the winding arbor turns a click that in turn winds the spring. Surely, someone has seen this before. Once you disassemble it, post a photo for everyone to see.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
This is not uncommon in chiming clocks. I think the purpose is to locate the third winding arbor in a position that is inside the dial opening and optically pleasing (centered between the two other winding arbors with a radius that is more or less concentric with the chapter ring).

Uhralt

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
A Gustav Becker mantel clock I recently had worked on had the same arrangement for all three winding arbors. It does seem like the displacement of the winding arbors was done to pull them in so they were relatively well placed on the dial. Also, could it be the barrels were wider than normal and this was a way of using big barrels on a smaller plate?

Kurt

Ron Roberts

NAWCC Member
May 14, 2019
This is a German movement, but does not have a trademark. I agree as it seems that the only reason was to place the winding arbors inside the face. The gears on the front plate do not provide any mechanical advantage (i.e. gearing leverage). I have seen this on several German clocks. This arrangement does sometimes tend to make winding seem harder. Thanks for the comments.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I have repaired a few of this type of movement, 3 of which were GB's on all 3 there was an issue with the secondary wheel. One had worn the pivot hole so much the spring let go. The other two had teeth missing that had sheared off when the spring let go, in the GB's they are made of steel.
I have to say though, the GB's were a nice looking movement and I have thought they would make a nice talking piece if set in a glass case as the set up of the racks is very nice to watch when in motion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caddafee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff