Clock Winding arbor needed for Seth Thomas kitchen shelf movement

Discussion in 'Parts Wanted' started by fixer_123, Nov 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fixer_123

fixer_123 Registered User

Mar 12, 2001
    Male
    VA
    Country Flag:
    I need a replacement winding arbor for the #1 gear (mainspring shaft everything but the mainspring itself) for a Seth Thomas kitchen shelf movement. The wheel, click and click gear have been completely destroyed. This is a rear mounting movement with a shorter winding shaft so a part from a front mounting mantle or wall clock movement will probably not work because the winding shaft will be too long. This is a traditional American time and strike movement where the time winding arbor turns CCW. Does anyone have a replacement part that will work in my customer's clock??

Thank you,
    Bob

2. Jim_Miller

Jim_Miller Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you can post a picture of the movement & the gear needed, perhaps we’ll be able to help
    Jim

3. fixer_123

Mar 12, 2001
    Male
    VA
    Country Flag:
    OK, Jim. Thank you for your reply. I will take the mainspring off the winding arbor and try to post a photo here. This is a standard looking American movement from a Seth Thomas clock and I believe most American time and strike movements from the early 20th century look similar, so I thought my request would be obvious. The only difference would be the length of the winding arbor, diameter of the driving bear and number of teeth in the gear which I would establish here once I find members with movements from which parts are being pirated. But I will try to post a pic, as requested, if that would help.

Thank you once again.
    Bob

4. fixer_123

Mar 12, 2001
    Male
    VA
    Country Flag:
    I have attached some photos as requested. I still need the winding arbor and would appreciate hearing from anyone who can help me with the part.

Bob

P1010221.JPG P1010222.JPG

5. Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob, thanks for the pictures. I have quite a few of these in my spare parts bin. If you want to provide me with the dimensions you named above, I’ll see what I can come up with. Perhaps the size of the winding square also.
    Jim

6. fixer_123

Mar 12, 2001
    Male
    VA
    Country Flag:
    Jim:

Thank you for your reply. To be clear, I am hoping to replace that item shown in photo on the left above. Here are the measurements for the winding arbor according to my digital calipers:

Diameter of the large gear (tip to tip) - 71 mm approx 2.75 in.
    Number of teeth in gear - 84
    Length of winding arbor (front to back) - 55 mm approx. 2.15 in.
    Diameter of winding arbor - 4.5 mm

The winding arbor takes a #6 American winding key - 3.6 mm

I think the first three of the above measurements are most important. If you have anything in your spare parts inventory which will replace this part we should have a brief phone conversation. I'd want to insure that click, click spring and click gear are in decent working order. If you'd like, my email is fixer_123@yahoo.com and I would be happy to call you at a mutually convenient time, if that would work for you. Thank you again for your help with this item.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Bob

7. Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Male
    Retired
    Jackson, Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob, I’ll check tomorrow and then contact you