Wind Indicator Problem Please Help if Knowledgeble

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by allynn, Mar 28, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. allynn

allynn New Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Hello,

I have a problem. I have a Waltham 16 size Cresent St. with a wind indicator. The problem falls with the wind indicator. The needle winds past the up position, and the guy who sold it to me said that it is a reserve wind. He states that he can move the hand so that it goes just between the up and down. Has anyone had this problem? ARE WIND INDICATORS ONLY SUPPOSE TO GO FROM THE UP POSITION TO THE DOWN POSITION? Somebody with knowledge please answer, because mine goes past the 12, and bothers me alittle not knowing if this is suppose to be like this.

Thanks
    Allynn

2. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is posted in the wrong section. This section of the message board is used only for questions about problems with the message board, or for comments about the message board.

3. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The wind indicator should only move between the up/down positions. It's most likely that the hand was put on in the wrong position and just needs to be re-set properly (not a big deal). The way you describe the problem the indicator probably doesn't go all the way to the down position even when the mainspring is completely let down.

4. Jerry Kenney

Jerry Kenney Registered User

Jun 18, 2005
    Male
    Watch & Clock Repair
    Oak Ridge TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wind movement to the last click and set the pionter to the "UP" mark.
    The down position can vary due to mainspring and movement condition.

Jerry

5. FabRat28

FabRat28 Registered User

Sep 13, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. RODALCO

RODALCO Registered User

Mar 27, 2006
    Male
    Electrician
    New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    Is this a wind indicator with a brush sliding over contacts, or other electronic indication means.

I have a Gispen wind indicator at home with a brush sliding over 8 contacts which can indicate 16 wind directions.
    This one can rotate 360° .

It is important that the correct wires are attached to the correct lamp or meter terminals, otherwise the indication will be wrong.

Cheers

Raymond

7. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Raymond
    Are you referring to "wind" as in winding a clock, or "wind" as in the stuff that blows things or when you eat too many baked beans?

I suspect the latter, and when I saw the subject line at first, I assumed that was what he or she meant!

I think Allynn is talking about what used to be called an "up and down dial" as the replies confirm. :cool:

8. John L. Odom

John L. Odom Guest

Based on the reference to a 16 size Waltham, it is obvious that he is talking about a horological rather than a meteorological instrument.

9. RODALCO

RODALCO Registered User

Mar 27, 2006
    Male
    Electrician
    New Zealand
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for that.
    I thought he meant a wind direction indicator like N, NE, S, SE etc.
    That one requires a free 360° rotation

I couldn't figure out exactly what he meant, I must have been half asleep.
    Sorry guys.

Cheers
    Raymond

10. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's the problem with heteronyms, but what would crossword compilers do without them? ;)