• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

WILSDORF and DAVIS

michael s

Oct 26, 2009
hello all,please... can no one help me with this watch? i have taken a few pics which might help,is it worth anything? all i want to know is this watch worth repairing to sell on as i am not a collector,the winder is missing and the enamel face has a hairline crack,i am told it is a wilsdorf and davis though im not 100%,in the picture of the inner back case is the letter P and it has W&D stamped also there is the numbers 21504 and a 7 bellow it.......:confused:

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Wilsdorf and Davis was formed in England in about 1903 or '04 or so, to assemble private label watches for jewellery strores in the UK and other Commonwealth countries. The watches were Swiss. The cases were marked W & D (as you know). Wilsdorf eventually bought out his partner, Davis. He had aspirations to selling a watch under a name of his own copyright which was Rolex. For a time he still produced private label watches with the jewellers name on the dial, and with the Rolex name on the movement. The company eventually beacame the Rolex Watch Co.

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Is this is a pocketwatch? If so, I'd be more inclined to believe the "W&D" might belong to Weber & Dubois of La Chaux-de-Fonds. Rolex was first and foremost a wristwatch maker, their dress pocketwatches generally came later than the W&D period.

michael s

Oct 26, 2009
Is this is a pocketwatch? If so, I'd be more inclined to believe the "W&D" might belong to Weber & Dubois of La Chaux-de-Fonds. Rolex was first and foremost a wristwatch maker, their dress pocketwatches generally came later than the W&D period.
hi there thanks for getting back, you may be right i have heard this story in another forum,how do i find out?

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
If you could post photos of the movement and of the caseback markings, we should be able to tell you pretty quickly.

You may want to compare the markings to known examples from reputable sellers. Google "Wilsdorf & Davis" and you should come up with several photos to compare.

michael s

Oct 26, 2009
hello all,please... can no one help me with this watch? i have taken a few pics which might help,is it worth anything? all i want to know is this watch worth repairing to sell on as i am not a collector,the winder is missing and the enamel face has a hairline crack,i am told it is a wilsdorf and davis though im not 100%,in the picture of the inner back case is the letter P and it has W&D stamped also there is the numbers 21504 and a 7 bellow it.......:confused:[/i am adding pictures how stupid of me,i forgot:eek:[MAIN][/MAIN]
-> posts merged by system <-
Wilsdorf and Davis was formed in England in about 1903 or '04 or so, to assemble private label watches for jewellery strores in the UK and other Commonwealth countries. The watches were Swiss. The cases were marked W & D (as you know). Wilsdorf eventually bought out his partner, Davis. He had aspirations to selling a watch under a name of his own copyright which was Rolex. For a time he still produced private label watches with the jewellers name on the dial, and with the Rolex name on the movement. The company eventually beacame the Rolex Watch Co.
thanks doug seems like it might not be a wilsdorf and davis after all

Attachments

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Michael,

Unfortunately, the images are not clear enough for me to make a call. If you can get a sharply focused image of the caseback markings, that would be the most helpful.

Regards,

Cary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chiuzo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent