• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Wilsdorf and Davis watch; looking for info

drevanf

New User
May 17, 2009
This watch belonged to my great grandfather, and it was just presented to me as a gift. It doesn't seem to work, but it is an interesting watch. Since I'm 50, I assume this watch is well over 100 years old. I would appreciate information about this watch, how old it is, any history to it, and how to go about finding a restoration shop to get it cleaned up and working.

Attachments

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Drevanf,

You are correct in your assumption that the watch is likely over 100 years old. It is a Swiss pocketwatch of modest quality, with what is known as a "Roskopf" movement.

The W&D in this case, does not refer to Wilsdorf and Davis, the well known founders of Rolex, but rather, the "Perfection" mark stamped in the case is the trademark of Weber & Dubois of La Chaux de Fonds, who registered that mark in 1892, well ahead of the formation of Wilsdorf and Davis, in 1905.

Many of these watches were intended for export, and the styling of yours indicates it may have been made as a "retro" piece even then. The dial is evocative of pieces from the 18th century, although the watch itself is clearly not that old.

To find a watchmaker capable (and willing) to service such a movement, I would suggest that you check the NAWCC member business directory. A piece such as this does not present any great technical difficulty to a competent watchmaker, but there could be great difficulty in locating replacement parts if any are needed. The case will also need attention from someone who is familiar with such things. Case work is a specialty that not many watchmakers delve into.

Regards,

Cary Hurt

Last edited:

kurtnz

Jul 6, 2008
New Zealand
Country
On your watch is the Swiss patent number 17445.
This patent was issued to a Ed. Boillat et Cie, Reconvillier, Switzerland on the 27. September 1898.
It is for a Rosskopf style movement. I don't know what Boillat's connections are to Weber & Dubois. Reconvillier & La Chaux de Fonds are of course both in the Swiss Jura mountains where the majority of the Swiss watchmaking took place during this time.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chiuzo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent