• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Wilsdorf and Davis - help

chauncey717

New User
Aug 7, 2012
Hello

I recently purchased what was represented to be a 1909 Wilsdorf and Davis Fob watch with a bow pin for slightly under $300. This was a bit of an impulse buy and I wonder if someone could verify that it is what it is supposed to be as I have no knowledge about watches at all.
I have attached some pictures, but it was difficult to focus given the position of the marks and the glare so here is what is on the watch.
Whan you open up the rear cover which is enameled, there are four marks near the top (XI, .925, Omega symbol, & either an O or 0). Below this is W&D inside an oval and the number 415515

There is then an inner cover that exposes the movement. The inner cover has also .925, a circle within a circle, but the circles have gaps at the 90 degree marks. There is also the XI, the W&D in an oval, and the # 415515 again.

On the movement there is the W&D in an oval, Swiss Made, FA, and 15 Jewels

The watch actually works and keeps very good time considering age - maybe a minute off after three days.

I would say the condition is very good to excellent with the exception of some missing enamel on the rear near the lip where you would open it (hopefully this will show up in the photo). There is similar enamel missing at the hinge, but less and less noticible. It seems that someone smoothed the edges in this area as they are not sharp and have little swirl marks (is this repairable?). My other question is with respect to the enamel, does the overall age and condition make up for the enamel damage. Is this watch (all things considered) collectible and worth keeping?

Thank you in advance for any comments.

P.S. I live in Northern NJ - does anyone know someone that could perhaps clean, repair the enamel, appraise, etc. this watch?

Attachments

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Welcome,

Wilsdorf & Davis became ROLEX circa 1910. At the apparent time that yours was made, W & D was doing a lot of private label watches for retailers, and the retailer's name was usually on the dial. The cases would'likely have been Swiss, and would have been marked W &D. The OMEGA symbol you refer to could well be the import mark that was applied to precious metal cases produced outside Great Britain, that were imported for sale in Great Britain. The movement appears to be a REBBERG product as was used a lot by W &D, and later by Rolex.

The .925 indicates the case is made of sterling silver. The F and A is likely marked on the movement, and marks Advance and Retard on the regulator.

Someone may come along with a recommendation for a shop to do the repairs that might be required. Having the broken enamel repaired might be a problem. That would be vitreous enamel which requires heating the case back to a high temperature to fuse the enamel. Someone might be able to patch it with acrylic.

As to the money. It's a pretty watch, in decent shape, shows its Rolex parentage, and you like it. I'd say you did well for someone who doesn't know much about watches (your words).

chauncey717

New User
Aug 7, 2012
Hello

Thank you very much for the information and feedback. I am also wondering how this would have been worn. Is it likely that the decorative enamel would be worn facing out thereby also protecting the watch face?

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Most likely as the glass would break befoe the enamel. I live in central NJ but know no one here that would take on that watch but will ask at the next meeting of Chapter 142 in Fair Haven, NJ. If you are anywhere in the area, we are having a meeting on Sept 9th at 8 am at church of the nativity in fair haven, stop in if you aren't doing anything.

chauncey717

New User
Aug 7, 2012
Thank you for the link and your comment - yes, the London mark is definately there.

Does anyone know of someone that will clean/service the watch or give an opinion on the enamel?

chauncey717

New User
Aug 7, 2012
Hello again - just wondering if anyone is aware of someone that is qualified to work on these

Thank you

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Almost any competent watchmaker can service the watch. The problem is the enameling, which might make some hesitate because they would not want to be liable for further damage. There are hard acrylics that can be used to repair the enamel at relatively low temperatures. You should look for a jewelry repair shop for that work.

The cost of a clean and overhaul of the watch does not depend on how much the watch is worth, so you may get a shock at the cleaning estimate. The labor is the same for this watch as for any larger watch and maybe a little more for the more delicate work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chiuzo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent