Wilmshurst Clock Movement Information

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by TheTickTockDoc, Jun 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TheTickTockDoc

TheTickTockDoc Registered User

Oct 9, 2009
    New Port Richey, Florida USA
    Country Flag:
    Hello Friends: I just picked up a nice old tall case with this movement. ($80) No pendulum or weight....and it's a little rusty...LOL, although it should clean up. I'd like to know more about this maker and, if possible, an idea of date and location. I'm not sure if this is a PA clock or English? It's a nice dial...and I can't say that I've seen this exact type of movement before. Not sure about the cord? LOL. As always, thanks in advance for your expertise and kindness.... Rich

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I think this is Stephen Wilmshurst, a British clock maker. Baillie lists him in Odiham and then 'went to Reading. 1755'.

There are some examples of his work to be seen if you look on internet.

The experts will soon be along to tell you more.

JTD

3. TheTickTockDoc

Oct 9, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. Here is what the movement looks like in the cleaned up case.......[​IMG][​IMG]

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those spandrels had the longest period of any spandrel and make dating difficult so JTD's date of gone to reading is the best guide.

The hour hand looks fine but the minute hand is wrong and who knows what they did to get the ironwork in such a state. It looks like fairly recent rust too. I like the dial. The movement shows signs of care in build that was lacking in use, the carved hammer stop always a good sign.

5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice Clock. Other than what looks like surface rust, it looks to be in good shape and I imagine it should clean up nicely. I don't know much about it to help you, but I am curious how tall it is. It looks to be even with the door frame, so I guess that gives me an idea.

Tom

P.S. I just PM'ed you because you beat me to this by minutes... Luck you!

6. TheTickTockDoc

Oct 9, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I've replaced the broken glass and threw the movement in the ultrasonic. It cleaned up nice.....and even runs for 10-15 minutes. (I had an extra pendulum and weight). I'll take it apart, polish all of the pivots, clean & lacquer all of the steel...should work great. What to do with the brass dials is always an tough decision. There is some green corrosion on the dial. I can disassemble the dial and polish/lacquer all of the brass. Normally, not something I would do...but the value of these clocks has just tumbled.......and why shouldn't it look it's best? It is not for my collection, but is for sale.

7. TheTickTockDoc

Oct 9, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Any guess as to the style of finials? There are two definite holes at the top corners.....

8. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    rather than polish the chapter ring resilver it, it will look much better and how it was designed to look so it could be read by candle light.

9. TheTickTockDoc

Oct 9, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Are you positive is was silvered? I re-silver dials all the time.

Rich

10. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the chapter ring was silvered so that the time could be read by candle light.