William Robertson Verge dial clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by novicetimekeeper, Dec 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It isn't actually mine yet, but I have just agreed to buy it. Needs a service first so won't get it till next year now.

Looks 1790s to me. Has lovely hands and is very much original. Engraving is excellent, really looks the part.

Early style with saltbox case, surround screwed to backbox, screws to hold movement to dial,, verge escapement, shaped plates, knopped pillars. 10" Dial.

This one sits in the middle in terms of date in my three clock collection of verge dial clocks, and brings the dial clock collection to five. I have a collection of wall clocks from 1740 to 1850 which covers a good range of styles and designs from hook and spike verge through hooded clock to dial clock verge and anchor. Not much space left now!

Possibly just need one with mock pendulum...

IMG_2050.JPG verge dial 1.jpg IMG_2048 (1).JPG IMG_2044.JPG

2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a very nice one, you ought to get it for Christmas!

3. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a Christmas present to myself. It was either that or replace the car. Looks like I'm keeping the car.

4. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Very nice - and i dare say much more original than another one that is currently in your possession... 1790s sounds about right based on the dating table in Rose’s book.

Nothing much to do on this one except find enough space on the wall

5. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    more original than another of mine, or yours :)

He has gone very quiet since I agreed to buy it, I assume it is still going ahead.

It will limit my clock purchasing power for a while. Though I did buy another one today!

I have agreed a shuffling of dial clocks with my partner, Matthew. It means that this one and the Duterrau that is just being completed will be allowed to run. One of my other verge dial clocks will have to be silent but it has had a good run. My wooden bezel verge dial clock will be up and running by Christmas too.

6. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Such a nice clock, I just don't see many of these in my area of Canada. I also love your bits about negotiating with Mathew about which clocks will strike, Jann and I are getting to the same place. When it strikes 11 or 12, forget about talking on the phone or listening to tv, not possible. We have a single time only in the bedroom which I find very soothing for sleeping.

7. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We have separate bedrooms because I snore so much ( he does too but I sleep through anything and he doesn't)

So I have one working longcase in the bedroom, not striking at the moment as it keeps getting out of synch. We currently have only two clocks striking in the house but one would wake the dead.

I think at this quality it is pretty unusual here too. Most of the clocks in my collection have been rescued from scrap, this was never a contender for that.

8. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    What a splendid clock, admire you!! Congratulations!

9. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Saw this in the flesh for the first time today.

It is really dinky, and the movement is 3/4 size too. It is amazing how much smaller it is even though it is only 2" smaller in diameter than a standard one. I think the screwed on surround makes a difference too as the case is so much more compact.

10. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    Sometimes a photo can't really tell you the size of a clock - and smaller can be better (you can fit more in - which is why I focus mainly on carriage clocks!) - but I guess that you have plenty of space free now the lodgers are on the move to Oz..

11. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The house looks like a tip now the lodgers have left with bits of packaging everywhere and even in a house where dusting and vacuuming are very low priority (don't believe everything they say about the gay) you can see the areas we have not been able to reach for a long time!

However I think things should return to normality quickly.

I have five clocks from the collection not here at the moment too! We know where this one is going when it arrives, so that's a start.

Raymond Rice likes this.
  12. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    #12 Ralph, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Nick, I really like the clock. Small ones are dear. Here's an 8" dial with a mock pendulum. It's not a salt box, but is an interesting case with bulges on the side..

No idea why the pictures are misbehaving:???:

20180227_141558.jpg 20180227_141635.jpg 20180227_141621.jpg 20180227_141852.jpg

Ralph 20180227_141729.jpg

13. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a great one Ralph, I really would have liked a mock pendulum one but I think this is my limit.

14. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Wow, that was fast... !!!

Ralph

15. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I can smell a clock of quality from quite a distance.

Can we see the movement? The case is very unusual, clearly made for the movement, but not what you would expect.

16. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Nick, here they are. I don't remember if I ever had the dial off before and assumed the bumps on the side were for the pendulum swing. Apparently, it was to give clearance to the barrel and was done to both sides for symmetry.

IMG_8789.JPG IMG_8790.JPG IMG_8792.JPG IMG_8793.JPG

17. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a big movement for a little clock isn't it? Amazing case work.

What are the two holes on the movement half way up? Do you think they are cartel straps?

18. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    It wouldn't surprise me. The holes certainly suggest that. It came out of the personal collection of the top dealer in the Chicago area of English clocks. He's long gone. Now that you mention a cartel clock, one of those came with this one and another..

Ralph

19. zedric

zedric Registered User

Aug 8, 2012
    If you look in Ronald Rose's book you will find another similar to this, which Ron describes as a cartel clock which was re-cased early in the day, presumably when the house furnishings were updated and a cartel style clock looked out of date.. The false pendulum aperture and the two holes for a cartel-style strap fixing certainly point to this being one that originated in a cartel clock.

20. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Robertson has completed its service and is now on test.

robertson bits 2.jpeg robertson bits 1.jpeg

21. novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well who needed a new car anyway? :)

57750839_10155757106087126_320521787118977024_n.jpg