William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by novicetimekeeper, Mar 31, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's come up beautifully as expected! I love the six pillars on a timepiece and the engraving on the backplate is exquisite. Such a well made clock with a restoration of the same standard. Can't wait to see the finished product!

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    he has made a new apron, you can see it in the side shot. We have left it plain, don't think you could do that engraving justice.

I've seen the dial which I'm very pleased with, that minute hand has come up well too.

Edit>
    I think removing the brasso from the engraving should get a special mention.

3. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BT declared Mr Post was spam but I got the rest through another email address. Apologies for the delay

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As you can see it was under test so ready to go when the case comes back

Again, I take no credit for any of this. DeanT found it, and two very skilled men are working on it. All I did was bid on it and pay for it.

4. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is quite a long thread now so perhaps I should put before and after in the same thread.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Case returns tomorrow, really looking forward to seeing it. I had expected it to go straight to the clock workshop but it is coming to me first which means I can take some photos without the movement in.

6. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Hello Nick, just now I saw this thread. What an amazing find you have there!!! I now am very sure we like the same kind of clocks. The movement looks immaculate now and the dial is smashing! Congrats on this find. I just recently bought an English bracket clock with all over engraved backplate. This one is converted from verge to anchor as many have been. I have not been able to take some quality pictures yet. I am planning to convert it back to verge this winter. Is there any chance you have the wheelcount of your clock? (and the pendulem length) If you like you can pm me.

7. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

8. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Peter,

I can ask the chap working on it for you (another Peter) or you may be able to count from the pics.

I have since been bidding on a few but have not yet been successful, I don't have a great deal of money to spend so can only afford a bargain. This was definitely a bargain, seems there wasn't much demand in Denmark.

I am bidding on a converted one and had wondered how much it would cost to convert back to verge. That one needs a case rebuild too so would be a longer term project if I am fortunate enough.

9. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Nick, if you can, I would like to know how many leaves the pinions have. I cannot make out from the pictures if they are 6 or 7 leaves. (escapewheel, crownwheel and the lower one) Would help me alot.

10. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll ask for you Peter

Meanwhile, the case has returned. Restored with a deft touch, you would never know it had been done I think.

Veneers have been stabilised, gently flattened. damage repaired invisibly. A gentle touch that I find all too rare when I look at restored clocks.

The brass feet have been replaced, two pieces of modern glass have been replaced.

I don't think my pics can do it justice but I am very pleased with the result. It really is a pleasure dealing with people who have so much heart for their work. He loves the case, and he has seen an awful lot of them.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Fantastic.

Rob

12. P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    That looks really greath!! I am a little bit jealous :coolsign:

13. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Knowing some of your collection I'm impressed I can achieve that!

Not to rub it in but I thought it deserved another pic. I thought hard about changing the feet but it was definitely the right thing to do. I'm particularly impressed with the repair of the damage done by the auction house.

[​IMG]

14. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks great! The new feet make a big difference. Your restorer did an excellent job matching the finish.

15. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    He is a very clever chap, I spent ages looking at it after he left and trying to remember what it looked like before. He has repaired chipped veneer, sorted out veneer that was cracked and warped, rebuilt the top which originally had daylight through the joints, even put new veneer on a piece 0n one side that had been replaced with mahogany and stained. Replaced the front door glass and one side glass with period glass and done that fantastic repair on the broken door.

Given the whole thing a polish including re ebonising the fruitwood mouldings but it still shows the wear from 270 years of use. I absolutely love it.

Hopefully will get the movement fitted at the weekend.

16. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Run small business manufacturing equestrian sector
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Looks fabulous Nick, a really beautiful restoration

17. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

He is in Oxfordshire should you ever need his services Sally.

Comparing before and after pics on here I'm in awe.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    MAGNIFICENT......that is going to look superb with the movement in it. I'd be very happy to own that! I bet this clock will bring a smile to the owner as it ticks away :)

19. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beaming smile from me, and hopefully not a grimace from Matthew, or it might get moved.

20. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Following the story of this absolutely wonderful timepiece has been a real treat. It's a piece of the Horological Universe I personally don't get to see pretty much at all.

Where I'm sitting now was wilderness and a colonial possession when that clock was made!

A nice instance of how the MB could work and serve as a portal to something different than what is usually experienced, at least for me. And with just the click of a "mouse". How great and powerful our modern technology can be.

Also a wonderful example, IMCO, of an appropriate, sympathetic and expertly executed restoration.

That concept is something we should all remember especially when faced with some of the often repeated on the MB advice about "restoration".

Thanks for sharing this.

RM

21. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can't claim any of the credit, but I choose craftsmen (and women) who share my aims in restoration. which is a bit between conservation and restoration. I like a clock to be able to fulfil the job for which it was intended and where possible to be something of which its maker could still take pride, but respecting that there has been a life of some 250-350 years before it came to me and hopefully something similar going forward.

22. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can only add to what others have said, very impressive! I particularly like the undoing of the auction house "modification" !
    David

23. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mr Post is reunited with his case, I'm a lot poorer than I was in cash but so much better off in other ways.

Pictures don't do him justice but he is now thumping away happily next to my chair in the sitting room where he will stay till they carry me out in a box.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

24. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  25. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm so glad you all love it as much as I do. Bracket clocks are still pretty serious prices so I won't be filling the house with them, but this is a pretty good start.

Here he is where he will stay. The piece of furniture was my Uncle's pride and joy, it's repro and not to my taste but he loved it and I loved him, we use it for family pics as we don't have a grand piano.

[​IMG]

26. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User

Jan 18, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful! Good spot for it too.

27. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Finished product looks amazing. You've set a very high benchmark so I'm not sure where you go next......

28. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I think it unlikely that anything else that ticks will be welcomed, they might have to be static exhibits.

However I'm very happy with this, I just have to glance up and see the mock pendulum catching the light from the standard lamp nearby.

29. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    till you refill the
    coffers and see your next project.

Rob

30. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Congratulations.

Wonderful.

That picture to the viewer's left. Looks like they're toasting the clock!

RM

31. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's my Uncle and his wife. Secretly engaged for 25 years because his mother hated Catholics and the Irish in equal measure. He wasn't keen on antiques, not sure what he would have made of it, Agnes would have liked it I think. The handsome chap peeking out on the right is my Dad, the small pic is my mum's brothers and sisters with their Mother. (The one who hated Catholics and Irish)

32. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Run small business manufacturing equestrian sector
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Its a stunning clock now, just gorgeous. Your restoration team have done a beautiful job!

So.....whats on your shopping list next? :D (I'm ignoring your protestations that there will be no more!)

33. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No more ticking not no more clocks!

I would like a verge lantern, preferably with the bob between the trains.

I would also like an external countwheel 8 day longcase, I have internal countwheel and internal and external rack.

I'm always tempted by anything with a Dorset signature

I'm also a sucker for verge silvered dial clocks but don't own one yet.

Matthew likes the look of William and Mary ebonised bracket clocks, but I'll either have to be very lucky or save a lot of pennies for that.

One clock that will be allowed to tick will be an English replacement for the French carriage clock on our mantelpiece. That will then be sold, the only clock I'll have sold.

34. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I should list the work done

Cabinet maker

dismantle parts of top and reassemble
    repair damage to door
    make new feet
    stabilise and repair ebony veneer
    re veneer missing section
    replace front door glass and one side glass with period glass.
    re ebonise some fruitwood moulding repairs.
    clean and polish

Clock repairs

hand carve and finish laser cut hand blank, blue both hands.
    clean and refinish dial and spandrels, lacquer spandrels.
    make six new square headed screws for spandrels.
    fabricate apron from free issue 18th century dialplate
    make screws for apron
    New contrate pinion
    repair escapement, include counter bore front bush and thin back cock to reposition verge flags on crown wheel
    bush front and back of fusee, back of centre wheel
    make clutch spring
    fit new gut line to replace steel
    make key (fabricated from period shaft and brass from dialplate)

35. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Terribly sad that all the pics have gone, but hopefully the people who work so hard to run this site will get that sorted before too long. (The search is rubbish too, found this thread with google.)

However Dean found this and sent it to me, I have never seen another bracket by Post. This is after the buildings were removed from London bridge, you can see it has full rococo spandrels.

It has the same hour hand, and presumably an original minute hand. Shows we did not do bad but we didn't get exactly what was required, still I'm happy with what we did. This is still one of my favourite clocks, it sits by my side as I type banging away on that verge, you can see why they developed the silent verge.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/lot.79.html/2007/fine-clocks-watches-barometers-and-mechanical-music-l07880

36. daveR

daveR Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2008
    hospital storeman
    melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes , it is a pity that the pics havent reappeared yet(live in hope !) as this is one of the clocks I wss following in its repair/restoration journey.
    Althought the search function is pretty ordinary, it seems that google is one of the reccomended ways of searching and accessing information on this forum. Thanks for finding it.
    David

37. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    if the pictures do not reappear I will upload them again. I'm glad you like the clock, it is my favourite of my collection.