Will this clock fit my home

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
Hello everyone.
I am the worst person when it comes to math, that being said, i am looking for help, My situation,
I am about to purchase a large grandfather clock my ceiling height is 96in the clock measurements are, height 91in width 23in and depth 14in, the clock will be carried in horizontally and than stood up, my question is will the clock clear my ceiling when stood up from a horizontal position, also what would be the max dimensions of a clock to clear an 8ft ceiling. Hope this is the right forum to ask?
Thank you very much for your time and help. 1986 Ridgeway.
Bruce

251113512_4463252333795880_8163707671491848315_n.png

Last edited:

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Hello everyone.
I am the worst person when it comes to math, that being said, i am looking for help, My situation,
I am about to purchase a large grandfather clock my ceiling height is 96in the clock measurements are, height 91in width 23in and depth 14in, the clock will be carried in horizontally and than stood up, my question is will the clock clear my ceiling when stood up from a horizontal position, also what would be the max dimensions of a clock to clear an 8ft ceiling. Hope this is the right forum to ask? Thank you very much for your time and help. Bruce

bruce -

lots of positive affirmation coming your way:

- yes, right forum

- yes, you're kind of bad with math :)

- yes, you should be fine. even if the clock in question has a solid top and the last few inches are not finials, you should have plenty (4-5") of clearance. if the clock does have finials, those typical pull out (or unscrew, for newer clocks)

as for the max height of a clock with a ceiling of 96", you'd probably want a couple of inches to spare when hoisting fully upright, so i'm going to guess maybe 93-94"?

please post photos once it's installed.

another bruce

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
bruce -

lots of positive affirmation coming your way:

- yes, right forum

- yes, you're kind of bad with math :)

- yes, you should be fine. even if the clock in question has a solid top and the last few inches are not finials, you should have plenty (4-5") of clearance. if the clock does have finials, those typical pull out (or unscrew, for newer clocks)

as for the max height of a clock with a ceiling of 96", you'd probably want a couple of inches to spare when hoisting fully upright, so i'm going to guess maybe 93-94"?

please post photos once it's installed.

another bruce
Hi another Bruce I am one also, thank you, i am honorably at math, i was told the hypotenuse is the longest side and i need to know this number to be sure the clock is able to be hoisted fully upright, so they explained that if the item is for an example 91in H 14in D it would be and extra 5in making it 96in in this case the clock could not be hoisted upright, i ask to make sure this is right.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
get a ladder and set it up where the clock is going to go.

take a tape measure and extend it to 91".

have someone hold the end on the ground, where the floor hits the baseboard.

swing the tape measure up and toward the ceiling and see how much clearance you actually have.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I agree with bruce. I think you will come within 1 or 2 inches when you stand it upright, just guessing.

If you want a real number, just draw a 14" x 91" rectangle on the garage floor and measure it diagonally. That will tell the tale.

Willie X

Reactions: LenzkirchFan

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
If you want a real number, just draw a 14" x 91" rectangle on the garage floor and measure it diagonally. That will tell the tale.
Willie X
or, tape together cardboard from some amazon boxes 14 x 91 and see if you can stand it up while standing sideways to the wall.

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
I agree with bruce. I think you will come within 1 or 2 inches when you stand it upright, just guessing.

Willie X
Thank you Bruce and willie, this is a good idea, i was also told to just make a mock-up with cardboard the same dimensions as the clock and see if it stands without trouble, i will be travailing 280 miles round trip to pickup the clock, so must be sure.

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
or, tape together cardboard from some amazon boxes 14 x 91 and see if you can stand it up while standing sideways to the wall.
We where both thinking of this at the same time, i just posted the same thing, thank you, i think this would tell for sure, i will post pictures if i do purchase the clock.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It's going to look crowded but I guess "crowded" is in the eye of the beholder. :)
Willie X

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
It's going to look crowded but I guess "crowded" is in the eye of the beholder. :)
Willie X
Oh, I don`t think so, i am going try your method first, more convenient, i t should work just as well,, a new movement has been installed 2 months ago.

Last edited:

glenhead

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2009
Williamson County, Texas
Country
Region
Dear heavens, Pythagorean Theorem, anyone? ;) Math geek to the rescue:

The square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square of the other two sides.

91^2 + 14^2 = 8281 + 196 = 8477
8477^0.5 = 92.07 inches, so yes, it'll clear if you stand it up front-to-back
(FYI, ^0.5 is one way of representing "take the square root".)

===============
91^2 + 23^2 = 8281 + 529 = 8810
8810^0.5 = 93.84 inches, so yes, it'll clear if you stand it up side-to-side

===============
14^2 + 23^2 = 196 + 529 = 725
725^0.5 = 26.93 inches

91^2 + 26.93^2 = 8281 + 725 = 9006
9006^0.5 = 94.9 inches, so yes, it'll even clear if you go insane and decide to tilt it up corner-to-corner

Just don't drop it. :)

Hope this helps.
Glen

Reactions: gmorse

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country

The square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square of the other two sides.

===============

===============
725^0.5 = 26.93 inches

9006^0.5 = 94.9 inches, so yes, it'll even clear if you go insane and decide to tilt it up corner-to-corner

Hope this helps.
Glen
Hi Glen that is great thank you, Pythagorean Theorem, anyone, yes i will take some if it comes with a side dish, it`s all Greek to me but i do understand 92.07, 93.84 and 94.9, yes this helped enough to purchase the clock, no we will not drop it. thank you. P.S what calculator would i use to figure out for example this,
8477^0.5 = 92.07 inches,

Last edited:

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Hi Glen that is great thank you, Pythagorean Theorem, anyone, yes i will take some if it comes with a side dish, it`s all Greek to me but i do understand 92.07, 93.84 and 94.9, yes this helped enough to purchase the clock, no we will not drop it. thank you. P.S what calculator would i use to figure out for example this,
8477^0.5 = 92.07 inches,
Remove the hood (should slide off horizontally??).

That will give you some extra clearance.

Stand the clock upright.

Then slide the hood back on.

Should provide a solution without the use of a slide rule?

RM

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country

That will give you some extra clearance.

Stand the clock upright.

Then slide the hood back on.

Should provide a solution without the use of a slide rule?

RM
Hi RM, did think of that, but I do not think the hood is removable, am not completely sure though, i have not seen the clock in person yet

glenhead

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2009
Williamson County, Texas
Country
Region
P.S what calculator would i use to figure out for example this,
8477^0.5 = 92.07 inches,
NOTE: The forum's software doesn't appear to have the superscript function enabled. Anywhere you see x2 below that means the calculator key that has an X with a little 2 raised up a bit.

I used my go-to calculator, a 40-year-old Hewlett-Packard 41CV. An HP calculator's Reverse Polish Notation works the way my mind works - you basically build the equation from the inside out. (It's also why I do most of my programming in LISP. Especially LISP wrapped in Prolog wrapped in C for the pretty stuff.) I have two apps on my cell phone that emulate the 41CV. If you're not familiar with RPN I wouldn't recommend them. Über-geeky stuff. In RPN the key sequence is 91 x2 14 x2 +

The built-in calculator app on my Samsung cell phone has both a squaring and square-root function, and using it is surprisingly easy. Start by changing over to scientific mode, then type and it'll automagically put in an opening parenthesis, then type 91 x2 + 14 x2 and hit the equals key.

If you have Excel or Linux Calc or any other spreadsheet application the equation is =sqrt(91^2+14^2)
(Note that the ^ on an American keyboard is shift-6. Yes, it's that way even if you change over to Dvorak layout. More geek stuff.)

Glen

Last edited:

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region

===============

===============
725^0.5 = 26.93 inches

Hope this helps.
Glen
Glen nailed it. A simple application of the Theorem of Pythagoras, as I used to tell my students. Yep, you'll make it. And keep in mind that gravity is the weakest of the four fundamental forces in the universe.

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
NOTE: The forum's software doesn't appear to have the superscript function enabled. Anywhere you see x2 below that means the calculator key that has an X with a little 2 raised up a bit.

I used my go-to calculator, a 40-year-old Hewlett-Packard 41CV. An HP calculator's Reverse Polish Notation works the way my mind works - you basically build the equation from the inside out. (It's also why I do most of my programming in LISP. Especially LISP wrapped in Prolog wrapped in C for the pretty stuff.) I have two apps on my cell phone that emulate the 41CV. If you're not familiar with RPN I wouldn't recommend them. Über-geeky stuff. In RPN the key sequence is 91 x2 14 x2 +

The built-in calculator app on my Samsung cell phone has both a squaring and square-root function, and using it is surprisingly easy. Start by changing over to scientific mode, then type and it'll automagically put in an opening parenthesis, then type 91 x2 + 14 x2 and hit the equals key.

If you have Excel or Linux Calc or any other spreadsheet application the equation is =sqrt(91^2+14^2)

Glen
Hey Glen, I do have a samsung phone, and will try your tip and see if i can come up with the same numbers you posted here and earlier.

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
Glen nailed it. A simple application of the Theorem of Pythagoras, as I used to tell my students. Yep, you'll make it. And keep in mind that gravity is the weakest of the four fundamental forces in the universe.
Interesting, i all ways thought gravity is the strongest by assumption, i am intuitive or purhapes intuition? and want to know, so i did look up the four fundamental`s, and looks like this is it, Ordered from strongest to weakest, the forces are 1) the strong nuclear force, 2) the electromagnetic force, 3) the weak nuclear force, and 4) gravity. also keep in mind the number of the earth is 4, 4 seasons, 4 corners N, S, E, W also Tigris, Euphrates, Pishon and Gihon, 4 fources, cool.

Last edited:

ToddT

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Country
Region
I'm with RM on this one.

If it's being carried in horizontally, then I would first hope the pendulum and weights have been removed. If the movement / seat board is not actually fastened to the case, then this should be removed, too. And getting to this likely means the hood has to come off somehow. At that point, it's likely short enough that this is no longer an issue.

If nothing else, tip it up from the front rather than tip it up from the side. Because the clock is wider than it is deep, it requires more clearance (the diagonal of the rectangle surrounding the clock) to tip it up from it's side (placing a side edge on the floor and standing it up) than it would to tip it up from the front (placing the front edge on the floor and standing it up).

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
As an aside, I used the 41C app on my iPhone. It took a total of ten keystrokes total. I still think in RPN and it's almost impossible for me to use a conventional calculator (or app).

Reactions: glenhead

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
I'm with RM on this one.

If it's being carried in horizontally, then I would first hope the pendulum and weights have been removed. If the movement / seat board is not actually fastened to the case, then this should be removed, too. And getting to this likely means the hood has to come off somehow. At that point, it's likely short enough that this is no longer an issue.

If nothing else, tip it up from the front rather than tip it up from the side. Because the clock is wider than it is deep, it requires more clearance (the diagonal of the rectangle surrounding the clock) to tip it up from it's side (placing a side edge on the floor and standing it up) than it would to tip it up from the front (placing the front edge on the floor and standing it up).
Hey Todd
Before any attempted on moving the clock whatsoever the pendulum and weights will be removed and packed up, i am hoping the hood is removable, if not, the chime rods will be removed or the very least secured with cardboard and bubble wrap, the cables will be secure before removing the weights so to avoid birds nesting, the leader will also be secured or removed, the chime hammers will also be secured, I`m hoping the hood is removable or an access panel on top and back.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Hey Todd
Before any attempted on moving the clock whatsoever the pendulum and weights will be removed and packed up, i am hoping the hood is removable, if not, the chime rods will be removed or the very least secured with cardboard and bubble wrap, the cables will be secure before removing the weights so to avoid birds nesting, the leader will also be secured or removed, the chime hammers will also be secured, I`m hoping the hood is removable or an access panel on top and back.
I would be surprised if the hood and movement and it's seat board are not removable.

How else to access the movement for servicing??

RM

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
The calculator in Windows has square and square root functions as standard, no need to go into scientific mode.

baw0104

Mar 8, 2021
Country
I would be surprised if the hood and movement and it's seat board are not removable.

How else to access the movement for servicing??

RM
Yes the movement and it's seat board are removable , i have another grandfather the hood is not removable but has access panels one on top and another in back for service, or the dial can be removed for access.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan Warrington
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-