will I be able to repair this clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by alskogen, Jul 15, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. alskogen

alskogen Registered User

Jun 4, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Someone brought this clock to me to see if I could repair it It is a seth Thomas maid by general time electric mantel clock Movement # A 305 000 6806. The time keeping part of the movement is working but need a bushing at the 2nd wheel from the motor The reason for customer to bring it to me is it quit chiming. I Don't know if I should try to repair it? get a new movement. or put in a quartz movement. Any thoughts ?? Al skogen

2. le arsi

le arsi Registered User

Jul 7, 2008
    Watchmaker,tower clockmaker, watch repair teacher/
    Philippines
    Country Flag:
    If I'm in your position I will always try to repair the clock as it is before I think of replacing it with a quartz module. That if you have the necessary tools, skills, and everything a clockmaker need in fixing a clock. At the end you will benefit more, if you succeeded repairing it by having more confidence, widening your mind to difficult jobs while discovering new easy techniques and remedies. Just like what I started before I become what I am today I remember having the same question for myself when I was a beginner.:thumb:

3. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well; Ya really haven't told us what all the problems are. Maybe you don't know at this time. I'd analyze it, determine the problems, and THEN decide on a route. What is wrong with it. What problems does it have? Does the electric motor work?

4. alskogen

alskogen Registered User

Jun 4, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Scottie The owner of the clock called a repair shop and discribed the problem as follows the clock will keep time but the chime won't work the repair shop told him it was to old to repair no parts etc. I took it apart and the 2nd wheel from the motor has a very badly worn pivot in the time portion .I don't know if that has any thing to do with the chiming partof the movement. the motor appears to be working. I just don't know weather to go further or tell the customer that it is beyond repair Thanks Al Skogen