Will Clock Prices Ever Rise Again?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ClockCollector, Jul 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I think the point is to be in command of and use technology but don't become dependent upon nor enslaved by it. Use it to accomplish things that otherwise might not have been as readily achieved or not achieved at all.

For example, I love the internet and the technology (iPhone and desk top) that I use to access it reliably and instantly. I can explore and look up things with an ease that I couldn't have imagined before. I've used it to learn much. I still critically assess that info and not accept it as gospel truth. Furthermore, I also understand its limits, faults, risks and caveats of the internet and the associated technology...so I have a pretty good reference library at home using the technology developed by Gutenberg in the 1400's.

RM

2. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired DDS. Likes Clock Teeth.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No. Shrinking demand, growing supply.

3. Levi Hutchins

Levi Hutchins Registered User

Oct 21, 2012
    Huzzah!

All
    blessings are mixed.

I recall Art Buchwald's delivering possibly the greatest (and most succinct) commencement address ever: “Remember, we are leaving you a perfect world. Don’t screw it up.”

Time exacting it’s toll on contrivances that attempted to take its measure is to be expected, but, fortunately, clocks through the ages have insured their survival through a diversity of objectives. The technical genius, innovation and workmanship that made them marvels of engineering have been accompanied by a bequest of aesthetic sensibility and expression, a venue for the skills of the cabinetmaker, the engraver, the painter, the gilder, the casters and tuners of bells, gongs, chime rods, and tubes, all serving as a candid ambassadorial delegation from our forbears, all true to their times and bearing a legacy for ours. Preserving that legacy whilst adding to it seems the responsible thing to do, despite not knowing how it will be received.

After all, that is what they all did, and just look at us!

4. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:

Rob

5. MartinM

MartinM Registered User
    Donor

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rarity will always be a factor. As it is in anything.
    I feel the days of the utilitarian design are behind us, forever. Nobody's looking for a plain wood square clock, anymore.
    Sadly... The body of mechanical clocks that were revered for their durability or accuracy are similarly unable to recover unless the steampunk folks greatly reduce their numbers.
    Some may be able to hold on because of their unique or high quality sound, but even those have a limited fanbase/audience in the modern world.
    So... The clocks that will best be able to hold or increase in value are those with individual historical significance or that display well and appeal to folks for their superior craftsmanship or artistry.

6. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    this thread has really taken off. I have really been enjoying all the comments and perspectives posted here. its nice to see the contributions of older and younger members. the youtube inbeds are a treat also. the one thing that I feel can be taken away from this is that there are a few outliers, but the opinions are generally about 80% in similarity.

7. ClockCollector

ClockCollector Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Depends. Right now the modern “style” is having black, grey, and white furnishings, and antique clocks for the most part do not fit this style (some art-deco clocks do). I wonder if modern high quality clocks have fared better than their antique counterparts in the market. Some people might argue that we will revisit some of the older styles. I personally love Victorian style homes, but I know that they aren’t in style.

8. MartinM

MartinM Registered User
    Donor

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All of the folks I know who go that route will take a quartz clock, every time.

9. mauleg

mauleg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    N. Mariana Islands
    Region Flag:
    #59 mauleg, Jul 12, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 9:26 AM
    Or maybe something like the German-made modern Hermle below. Relatively inexpensive (typically ~US$100 new), aesthetically compatible, and interesting enough to be a conversation starter. I admit it, I have one and like it. Yes, it's flimsy at best, but it's a good timekeeper and gets more admiration than clocks that are far superior, go figure...

HERMLE-Table-Skeleton-Mantel-Clock-mechanical-8-day-movement.jpg

As a collector with no mind to ever resell, the current bear market has allowed me to dramatically expand my collection. The implications are open to interpretation, but greater accessibility to the marketplace for those with a passion, yet limited means cannot be all bad.

10. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #60 claussclocks, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 10:34 AM
    My wife has written a sci-fi type book around a group of clock keepers and an alien life-form that live in mechanical clocks. Partly because she likes to write and also hoping to attract some younger attention. It is meant to be a series if interest prevails

We need more attention to attract interest. To many people we are almost a "Secret Society". When you were in school and studied about the industrial revolution and the rise of American Industry did any teacher you had or book you read ever mention people like Seth Thomas, Simon Willard, Elias Ingraham, William Gilbert as even remotely playing a role in American business. It was all Ford, Edison, Whitney, etc...

They were as important, if not as large as any of these people to the making of Amercian history and industry. I will get off my soapbox now.

11. ClockCollector

Aug 5, 2013
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd assume that people admire it more because they can see the entire movement running, which draws attention from a lot of people. It's easier to tock about a clock when people can see it tick (I'm sorry :confused:)

12. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    It is interesting what a non collector admires. I have a few
    very nice looking un jeweled dollar watches that I have shown to
    friends and they are as enamored with the
    dollar watch as with the high grade RR watches I've shown them. To them they are both pocket watches
    that look old and cool. They judge a watch by the dial and case.
    I like the dollar watches too.

Rob

13. ClockCollector

Aug 5, 2013
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think part of that has to do with knowing what to look for. When you have knowledge on what you're collecting, you tend to start becoming impressed with the smaller points of detail and signs of quality. Non-collectors don't scrutinize items nearly as much as collectors do.

14. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unfortunately, rarity is more of a subjective concept than an objective concept.

In addition, even an object that all would define as rare meets just one-half of the equation that defines high value - demand (or desirability, if you wish).

Regards.

15. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    H'mm...no, not sure that it is more subjective though I agree it's not entirely objective. I do agree that it has become an overused superlative along with others like "genius" and "brilliant". Einstein was a genius.

You're correct in saying that rare does not necessarily mean valuable though interestingly some would say calling something rare implies that is not just infrequently encountered but also of great value. Probably "scarce" is a better word?

Anyhow, I do believe that the perception of rarity has changed as discussed and is a factor in declining prices.

RM

16. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All the clocks I collect could be considered rare, if not unique. They were not mass produced, and were made to order, rarely are two found alike.

However that does not make them valuable, which is just as well or I could not afford them.

17. ClockCollector

Aug 5, 2013
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Agreed. Also, I think it’s fair to note that regular people don’t desire to have more than 1 or 3 antique clocks in their home, which effectively limits the market more or less to collectors most of the time.

18. David 62

David 62 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2004
    I think that the correlation between antique clocks and antique furniture both being depressed speaks to the fact that young people never caught the bug,or perceived value in old hand made furniture and mechanical clocks.It needs to start with a appreciation of time travelers from a different era,a time with out electricity that produced objects that would be very difficult to reproduce in our modern time with modern machines.One needs to appreciate history and enjoy knowing that a antique was used long ago and owners lived in homes without plumbing,read about civil war battles,as well as Pearl Harbor much later and so on.The appreciation generates a hunger for knowledge about makers and methods of manufacture which enhances the appreciation of the history and skills needed to get up a clock or highboy in the 18th.or 19th.century.Books on antiques or antique clocks are commonly sold at the end of a auction of a collectors estate.The books probably were procured as that collector fed the hunger for knowledge that grew from the appreciation.

19. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Itinerate clock purveyor and amateur restorer
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In the 40's, 50's, 60's and perhpas even a bit longer it was not uncommon for people who liked antique furniture might well have an antique clock in each room of a house featuring a lot of antiques. It was common at least for these folks to have at least 1 banjo clock, a tall clock, and a pillar and scroll, all in different rooms. These folks seem to be generally hard to find these days.

And then there were some old time clock collectors who had huge collections. One fellow I knew had over 350 double dial clocks, another had over 300 tall clocks, another (Mudd) had a warehouse with over 5000 clocks. Not too many of those folks around these days. Fred Ropkey, Indianapolis, had 50 tallclocks and 60 army tanks......short of a couple collectors/dealers in the New England area there are not so many outrageous collections existing these years. There are also a couple of pretty outstanding tower clock collections still.

20. bkrownd

bkrownd Registered User

Jan 28, 2017
    Steamy Hilo, HI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    People also need stability to hang on to a lot of possessions like antiques, but a lot of younger people spend their 20's, 30's and even 40's moving from job to job and home to home every couple years. My relatives have dispersed all over the country. It's getting harder to keep antiques in the family. My great grandfather apparently had dozens of clocks among his repair projects, which I vaguely remember. I don't think more than a couple of them stayed in the family.

21. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I never get sick of looking at the clocks in my collection. Not sure if you can or need to put a price on that satisfaction......

22. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nor do I :)

23. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Don't discount your knowledge of early clocks. It definitely gives you an advantage so that you can buy that "sleeper" which others may not understand nor appreciate.

One thing about rarity and value I forgot to mention and it's something I've experienced personally. In the past, there have been clocks where the general consensus was that they were "rare". Then on my part, and others as well, the sometimes "stupid" price was paid with the rational being even so, I had better buy it now because who knows when I might see such an nice example again. Well many of those clocks can now be found with some frequency and reasonably on eBay.

I remember that there was a fellow in Haverhill, MA who had clocks under every bed and apparently filling floors of empty factory buildings (of which there are many in that city). Not to mention collections of Model T's, Stanley Steamers and some really fine antiques.

Don't forget, a number of folks in their 30's and 40's are doing quite well and have a relatively stable existence and disposable income. The issue often is that if the latter is substantial enough, they're buying Hans Wegner not Chauncey Jerome.

However, the sad fact is that many are now graduating college with crushing debt. Often they are forced to take jobs that don't pay much or offer little stability or "fringes", i.e., they are contract workers. They may be either sharing a tiny cramped overpriced apartment in a major city or returning to the home of their parents. They SHOULDN'T be buying antiques! It doesn't make sense under those circumstances.

RM

24. James Foster

James Foster Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    Clockmaker @ Your Time Clock Repair
    East TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pardon me if this point has been made earlier in this thread.

I believe most “standard” mechanical clocks were made as tools to know when to be somewhere when you are expected to arrive. The majority in an era when labor was cheap and technology was expensive, therefore time consuming features impacting their beauty was cost effective to increase the desirability and salability to the masses.

Higher quality, higher value clock production was tied to the requirement for precision. The owners of the above mentioned standard clocks many times aspired to own a higher value clock for status or to be envied. When that aspiration or desire was born the means (money) could not be allocated for the sake of status. Later in life people tend to allocate more to fulfill those desires. One possible reason a midsize car from the ‘60s brings more than $100,000.

A collectible’s desirability I believe in general is motivated by memories. In other words, a personal connection to the past. The decline in clock values is likely tied to the fact people who remember winding a clock, standard or precision, to be somewhere on time are dying.

There will likely always be a segment of the population that appreciate the beauty of antique clocks, I’m afraid the demand will never equal the supply so the values will reflect that ratio. Given the beauty of the cases I’m thinking this ratio will be slow to change. For example; a dear friend died whose father was also a collector, as was mine, had a smorgasbord of clocks from tabor cases to Herschedes tubular bell. His widow is trying to dispose of the clocks that were not displayed in their main living area. Being in the clock restoration business, the case-less movements have value to me for parts but the market value of a standard non working tabor clock won’t support storing it. The reluctance to pull out the movement and take the cases to the landfill supports the supply portion of the value formula.

The bottom line for me is I inherited a couple of hundred nice clocks, purchased a home large enough to accommodate them, never moving again, my memories of growing up with the clocks already outweighs there market value so I guess I’ll die with them. There value will be someone else’s problem.

25. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Adding to the problem is lack of familiarity with analog time. Most kids graduating college these days never learned how to read a clock dial! So the desirability of old clocks is pretty much isolated to us old folks, and in time clocks will be relegated to museums....and given enough time, even those will be gone.

26. ClockMogul

ClockMogul Registered User
    Donor

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With all the doom and gloom about prices, noticed a 1920's Howard just sold for over 150,000.00 USD. When ever a E Howard Astro shows up forsale they are well into the 6 figures . I also recently dumped my Howard Astro and was quite pleased by what it fetched too. The top end "GOOD STUFF" still brings great prices and things one may have thought was "RAREBIRD" now most likely are no longer rare birds..Mint rare perfect original jewelers regulators do very very well in this down market. Chelsea clocks 10 inch ships bell and above bring huge bucks too as I just found out..

27. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Itinerate clock purveyor and amateur restorer
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some clocks bring really great money....

20150413_061846.jpg

28. Time After Time

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One can always point to auction results where two or more one-percenters go at it for bragging rights. Was it Tina Fey who said "Ninety-Nine percent of the One-Percenters I've met are jerks."? :chuckling: I hope that prices, in general, do go back up. I just don't hold out much hope (if any) that they will. Is that Doom and Gloom pessimism or just realism? Anyone got a Crystal Ball handy? Maybe we can answer the OPs question. If not, guess the Market will just have to answer it for us.

29. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I don’t know if you realize how close to the mark you are with regards to certain individuals?

RM

30. RAK

RAK Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Male
    The Beautiful State of Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like the new prices. I purchased the majority of my clocks at pre-recession, stupid, astronomical prices and I'm done with that. I've never been a One-Percenter. I'm probably not even a 50-Percenter. So buying a Seth Thomas Adv. clock that at one time would have commanded $2,500 for $600 is OK with me.

To be honest, if the prices didn't come down, I would not be buying clocks anymore. Part of that is due to the fact that I already have a reasonable number of the clocks I'm interested in and part of it is due to the fact I only have so much wall space available for clock display. I think many of you reading this are in the same boat. So now it takes something special to get me to open the checkbook, even at the new low prices.

When it comes to selling clocks which I do occasionally, I ask myself if I enjoyed the clock and learned something from owning it. Then I think of the difference between buying price and selling price as the cost of the enjoyment of ownership or the knowledge gained and move on.

Bob

31. Time After Time

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a good way to look at it Bob. If you're searching for money making investments, it's probably better to try your hand in the Stock Market rather than with Antique anythings. You might do better with the Dow. Then again, you might not. :eek:

32. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Yes, I too put together a goodly part of my collection as the market was going up and then around the peak of the market. Probably won't see a return on the investment and most likely a loss.

Yet, I still enjoy them and love talking about them.

I have also found that if one is still interested in clocks and finding interesting things to add to your collection, there are some wonderful opportunities in the current market. Another plus is that now with tools not as available 10-20 years ago, like the internet, if used wisely and discriminately, they facilitate the process.

RM

33. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's very likely you are already in the top 1% in the World, or a lot closer than you think.

Are You in the Top One Percent of the World?

Raymond Rice and Time After Time like this.