Will almost sell my soul (almost) for a Kienzle disc pendulum spring barrel......

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Ron751, Sep 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ron751

Ron751 Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 2, 2011
    Male
    Retired locksmith
    N. Massapequa, LI, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The tough part is that it's a Kienzle barrel for a 400 day disc pendulum clock. I am working with Chris from Horolovar on this restoration. He told me that this barrel is unique to Kienzle movements of this type ONLY.
    The reason being is that the barrel rests against the back plate which according to Chris is unusual as compared to other 400 day clocks.
    The existing barrel has 4 flattened teeth - I will get it repaired only as a last resort if it affordable.

Except for the basic small parts needed (Horolovar supplied) to finish a 400 day clock, it's ready for that setup process.

Needless to say my frustration level is quite high…

Everyone on the forum has been so helpful & patient during my membership. I have been taught a ton of things about clocks & the time that you all have saved me is immeasurable. I am hoping that someone will remember that they have a barrel buried away in a dusty box….

I will give the dimensions of the barrel, even though I think a Keen Kienzlexpert will understand the situation right away without them.

72 teeth
    Diam. w/teeth > 42.2 mm
    Diam. w/o teeth > 39.3 mm
    Inside depth > 21.6 mm
    Height > 23.3 mm

BTW > Serial #16277

The way Chris explains it is that the incorrect barrel will be jammed up against one of the plates.

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Have you posted a picture of this movement? From the number I would think you have one made by Huber for Kienzle.

Eric

3. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. MartinM

MartinM Registered User
    Donor

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe it's the one that has the winding arbor on the side without the cap and is a pain to get the spring in and out of without a clockwise winding arbor for your spring winder.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you jump over to the clock repair forum, there's lots of information on how to replace teeth on a barrel. You might feel up to the challenge yourself. Otherwise, there are members here who do great work. One is David LaBounty who is a master clock maker and his charges are quite fair.

6. Ron751

Ron751 Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 2, 2011
    Male
    Retired locksmith
    N. Massapequa, LI, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry for not including pics - These should give all of you a full overview of the situation.
    Thanks Shutt for mentioning Dave LaBounty - I am familiar with his reputation.

Note> I was told that the susp. unit holder is not correct (U shaped)

Thanks all for replying !
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 etmb61, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Your clock was made by Wurth, not Kienzle! Wurth only made about 28000 clocks total, so your best bet is probably fixing what you have.

Also, I believe your suspension bracket is a Kern part. The proper part should be the gimbal type, number 14 in the repair guide, see below.

Eric

Attached Files:

8. Ron751

Ron751 Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 2, 2011
    Male
    Retired locksmith
    N. Massapequa, LI, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Eric - so does that make my hunt for a barrel harder now that we know it's not one of the big companies ?

Ron

9. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would say so. I don't have a Wurth apart right now, but I would compare a Schatz 49 barrel and see if it's close in size and tooth count.

If it were a Kienzle you could probably have used a Kern barrel, since Kern bought out their 400 day production line.

Eric

10. Ron751

Ron751 Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 2, 2011
    Male
    Retired locksmith
    N. Massapequa, LI, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK - getting the barrel repaired seems the easiest thing to do now. I know who to go to.
    As far as the suspension bracket goes - are the gimbal types obtainable ? I don't want to go thru the hassle of the barrel situation again. I could live with what I have if necessary - but hey, correctness is always cool !

Thanks Eric for clearing up some big issues.
    Ron

11. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The suspension bracket is probably easier to make than to find. I found the one shown above online about five years ago, but I had to pay more for it than I have for some entire clocks. Ouch!

Eric

12. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I noticed that the area of the barrel hook is bulged out which means that the hook itself is probably starting to get loose in the barrel. If you decide to replace the flattened teeth you should also address the barrel hook.

13. Ron751

Ron751 Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 2, 2011
    Male
    Retired locksmith
    N. Massapequa, LI, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Harry - it was noted & will be taken care of.
    BTW - your shop is beautiful & so well organized. I wish that I could incorporate some of those features.
    unfortunately my area was a regular shop in my basement before I decided to get into clocks.
    There's too much non-clock related stuff around......some day......:-}

14. Ron751

Ron751 Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 2, 2011
    Male
    Retired locksmith
    N. Massapequa, LI, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bless you, Eric. You bring out the utmost in nuttiness in us clock people. When the part has to be correct - to blazes with the cost ! I think a lot of us would have done what you did. Besides, anything on gimbals ALWAYS looks cool :-}}

15. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Still, the most expensive parts I've purchased have all been pendulums.

Eric