Wiki article redirect

Discussion in 'wiki development.' started by Richard Watkins, Jun 12, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Watkins

Richard Watkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

I am about to give up from frustration.

I want to move the article "Google Books related to clocks and clockmaking" to "Digitized books related to clocks and clockmaking". So I created the new article, which is simply a copy of the original, and then I tried to replace the "Google Books related to clocks and clockmaking" with a redirect:

[redirect]Vault Wiki:Digitized books related to clocks and clockmaking[/redirect]

But every time I do it, the redirect is to "Digitized books related to cloc ks and clockmaking" WITH A SPACE in "cloc ks" and, of course, no such article exists. The original title should be kept because Google searches locate it.

I then tried

[redirect]Vault Wiki:Books and bibliographies:Digitized books related to clocks and clockmaking[/redirect]

The same problem occurs!

So now there are 2 identical articles and no way to fix them.

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Vault Wiki automatically creates a redirect if you rename an article. However, not everyone has rename privileges because one needs to be careful about generating redirect loops.

Redirect does not work well to create alternate titles. To do this, it works better to just use the Redirect code in the source article. This will all be covered better in the Wiki Authors Tutorial when I get it written.

Cracked Egg Studios provides pretty good documentation on managing the wiki facility, but it is a bit too brief for my taste in the usage and authoring descriptions. The wiki codes are in the FAQ and you can find a lot of information in [special]wikicodelist[/special].

3. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Donor

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Richard: I was able to get the REDIRECTS to work on both Articles.