Wiener Exam

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I'm currently working on one I thought I'd share with you. You recall that box of five. Well it's that one upper left, missing it's front plate eccentric bushing - just a quarter inch hole there.
Well, decided to tackle that one.
It's turning out to be the Wiener Exam: "Can you make this one work"
Only time'll tell if I'lll pass the exam. It is a challenge.
O.K.; GaREAT! Site's not posting pixtures tonite. PHOOEY! DANG.
Like I need another challenge. Sheesh!
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/cb903lviEZ8KEbUpAVo60EgP*Fk48lsW9NVvv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Those who replied to my inquiry knew of no source for those eccentric bushings so you know the next deal:
Decided I'd make my pilot bushing of wood and it would guide me to where on it, the bushing needs to be bored. Ya see, many of these I've seen are mounted far to the left of center and I reasoned that is so when you rotate the bushing, you will be raising and lowering the bushing closer to center. You know; If bushing was on center and hole for pivot was off center - rotating it would drift the pivot and anchor left or right as it raised or lowered it. Not good because then the anchor is not perpendicular to the EW. To my test bushing I made two holes: One near center; one further out.
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/cb903lviEZ8KEbUpAVo60EgP*FITLWiI-MVnv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/cb903lviEZ8KEbUpAVo60EgP*I1sTccfFNFGv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Well, now AOL crashed so guess my challenges are complete tonite.
Dumped my last entry entirely. Maybe I oughta continue this another time. Seems this wasn't meant to be this morning.
So; With temp installed, noticed immediately a problem. Interface between teeth and entrance pallet not right. Removed the pallet assy. and there discovered the entrance pallet installed upside down! That ain't easy because their receptacle grooves are ground to the curve of the pallet. Turned pallet around but after more tests, noted impulse angle not correct. I now have two exit pallets! GREAT! Well, about thirty seconds before grinding my first pallet decided to look at the other end of that pallet. VOILA! It was installed backwards AND reversed.

Attachments

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
GREATNESS!
Maybe I was premature to blame the site. Internet Explorer works on pixture load. Nuffa that.
Now have two correct pallets with correct impulse faces so commence achieving lock by closing gap between pallets and lowering anchor when I realized backcock bushing had so much slop that any adjustment would be totally worthless.
So; Installed my eccentric bushing to the backcock! Now I have TWO places to raise and lower anchor! Getting close now. I have lock but not enough to begin drops: Backcock eccentric prior to cutting flush and providing oilsink:

Attachments

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
THIS JUST IN!
Working with the movement assembled as I had only precleaned it prior to final reassembly, separated the plates to install weight cord when I realized I was working on the "DONUT MODEL" ! See "Clockmakers Hall of Shame"
Now it all comes together. Here is the reason for the DONUT:
The upside down and backerds entrance pallet was the reason for it.

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
Yep, sounds like this one suffered at the hands of someone that thought they had a clue Scottie! Well, that's probably a little un-kind. He may have had a clue, but he sure as hell didn't know the answer:bang:

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Wieners are finicky? Just HOW picky or finicky are they?
Here, now running reliably for several hours with it's fresh, proper winding drum cap, is doing this on a wooden anchor bushing, temporary backcock bushing, and NO - ZERO - lubricant.
I'll save the donut in case I ever need to bribe a cop.

Attachments

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice job Scottie, you are the master here. I wish i knew a lot about clocks like you do. I guess i just keep studying and doing. Great pics too Scottie it helps me understand more what you are doing. When it comes to regulators i am almost lost. Different animal for me.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Well, "thank you", KEVIN for making the journey with me and thanks everyone else who came along. Your company was appreciated and even tho there were no questions and two respondents - nearly 250 watched it meander to at least some extent.
Very much done now, under test and nearly regulated on less than three pounds, thought you may enjoy watching the worst of the worst go from "hopeless" to viable and ready to use. Hopefully some info here will be of help to you, should you ever need to use these procedures or perhaps become bumfuzzled when your Wiener don't work.
Exam is over.

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
Great job Scottie:clap:

Interesting thread and I was really interested in the eccentric bushing. I often wondered how I would go about that.

Thanks!

Best,

Richard T.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Scottie you would be a great clock repair teacher, have you ever thought about it?:thumb:

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
You´ve got the Wiener Blut:clap:Great Job,whish I could do that!
Burkhard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aikenhudson
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-